I Forge Iron

Front line workers

Scott NC

There's not one here on IFI, AFAIK.  I suggest that if you want to do it electronically, find a medical or nursing blog and jump in with your thanks.  Alternatively, send a thank you card to your local hospital.  And, make sure you personally tell your neighbor how you feel.  Chocolate or home baked goods are a good way to express gratitude.  Tell her to take them to work and pass them around as being from a grateful neighbor.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There is an older post just related to COVID, but nothing like what you are looking for. 

My wife is the CNO at a critical access hospital in southern Ohio. They are currently getting hit pretty hard down there. While only about 85% full right now they are at a pretty serious staffing level due to employees testing positive.

I asked her your question to try to get you a better answer. Her reply was food is always appreciated, also caffeine and chocolate. I think I would try to shy away from home baked goods right now and try to stay with something store bought and or individually wrapped. When my wife has picked up some night shift spots she has swing through the drive through and grabbedsome tacos or sandwiches to take to her nurses and they have really appreciated it. If you would like to forge something I’m sure a some small heart key chains would also be appreciated. Sending something with your neighbor for her and her co-workers would be the easiest as the proper channels might be hard to find. If you would just like to make a gesture I’m sure a hand made sign at the end of your or her driveway would warm her heart as well.

As a spouse of someone taking the risk and putting in the time I also appreciate your thoughts for them. The last 9 months has not been easy for a lot of people in health care. In a lot of rural areas the pandemic started with massive layoffs and hours being cut. Now, if they are in an area with high case counts they are being overworked as long as they are healthy. Seeing co-worker after co-worker test positive is also pretty disheartening. My wife told me yesterday that she is on the schedule to work the next 12 days straight. Between her “regular” job and picking up shifts to cover most of those days will be 12+hr days. I’m afraid she is probably not alone in that position. 

My thoughts go out to your wife Fowllife and to your neighbor Nodebt.  I'm in south-central Ohio as well and familiar with most all the facilities around the area.  My wife woks office for a local surgeon.  We are "in the loop".  It's a difficult time for rural hospitals for sure.  I'm a cardiac, vascular and general sonographer and count my blessings that I'm "just" in an outpatient only setting.  I have a lot of friends in facilities though and I see posts on Facebook all the time about people just having a stack of pizzas delivered to the ER, ICU or you pick a department for the staff and they sure do appreciate it.  Have also seen stuff sent out from Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, etc.  

One of our local churches sent over lunch for the whole department the other day. They went to a deli and had roast beef, turkey, and ham sliced and individual bag's in sacks with bread,chips fruit and desert in every bag along with condiments. They sent more bags than we have officers, I happened to drop by the department to check up on everyone and was invited to take a bag home for my wife & myself. I can tell you that gesture was greatly appreciated by all. They included this note in each lunch sack.

1640095799_Trinitynote.thumb.jpg.d1807ed215571e4b64427961c014afb5.jpg

I suggest key fobs with the word "invictus" struck into them.  That is Latin for "unconquered." "Vis et invictus" would be "strong and unconquered."  John can correct me if I have an ending incorrect.

For food, I suggest, high quality chocolate.  One of the active ingredients in chocolate is theobromine which translates to "food of the gods."  When my late wife was fighting blood cancer I couldn't do anything to help her medically which was very frustrating but I could do what I could to keep her spirits up which helps medically.  One of the things I did was to make sure that she always had within reach a sufficient quantity of weapons grade chocolate.  Besides being a very tough lady I hope that my efforts helped her gallantly fight it for over 6 years until it took her. 

Chocolate can be set out at a nurses' station or break room so that folk can grab some when the have the desire and a chance.

These are all great ideas and thoughts.  She just moved in this summer and doesn't talk much about what goes on but I would like to do something more than just saying thanks.  I plan to clear her driveway and walks if it ever gets around to snowing, I certainly have enough time on my hands.  I'd like to volunteer some of that time somehow but pretty much have to be careful not to catch the virus due to circumstances.  I donate some but can't do much really constructive, being cooped up in the house.  Forging or metal art is out, my tools are all packed up.  Im going to make a sign tomorrow and find out what dept I can send some chow or snacks to.  I have needed care before so I appreciate what these people do.  All of them.  

14 hours ago, George N. M. said:

"Vis et invictus" would be "strong and unconquered."  John can correct me if I have an ending incorrect.

"Fortis et Invictus" would be better; "Vis" is second person singular of the verb "to wish".

If you're doing pizza or the like, remember to include something for the vegans and vegetarians; they are no less deserving of our support.

John:  I was taking "vis" from the medieval legal formulation "vis et arma" which is the legal formulation used to describe a break in of someones property "with strength/force and arms."  I do agree that "fortis" is probably the better construction for the connotation of being strong of character and will.