I Forge Iron

Copper sourcing or scavenging

hobb0042

Hi all in looking to make some small items using copper details such as copper rose petals and fashioning copper strips into some sort of decorative bow, my question is where would be the best place to source copper, second hand? Flea markets, old reporposed items? Or buy new fromocal metal stockist any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks all

Hey Hobb- I've used copper for leaves, flowers, fold forming and other projects, all with re cycled copper. There are various thickness sizes in the flashing that roofers use, so make friends with a roofer or even a general contractor. I also see it sometimes new or used in the local online classifieds ( craigslist here in the US).It may be available in the local scrap yard. Another source is copper plumbing pipe- in the larger sizes (1" +) you can cut lengthwise with a hacksaw and open it up. These options have suited my needs. For larger or thicker, you will probably need to buy new.

Steve

Generally copper is used on upscale places so if you can find a roofer that does work in ritzy neighborhoods you have a better chance.  I  had a roofer friend who was an independent contractor who was the roofer for choice for million+ dollar homes where I used to live.  He always saved his scraps to use or sell as scrap...  Still worked with a soldering copper and charcoal heater!  In  the UK you might have luck with folks working on Listed buildings and having to match the original materials.  Also see if there is a non-ferrous scrapyard near you.

I was at the scrap yard a few years ago when a guy showed up with multiple barrels of plumbing scrap copper. It was this time of year, so I figure he was cashing in for Christmas time.

Another source- I have a buddy who is a commercial electrician, and he has been feeding me old buss bars and other bits and pieces he comes across. I have some nice pieces of 1/4' x 4" stock now as well as very usable chunks of 3/8" thick by various widths.

Steve