I Forge Iron

Ventilation question.

Bearded_ginger

I’m completely new to smithing. I’m just trying to get started and I’m starting small. I am looking at getting a small gas forge (Firebox – 4" h x 4-1/2" w x 13-1/2" l ). My shop is small, 15’ x 10’, the shop has the windows in the front and doors on both ends. Will the Windows and doors provide enough air circulation or should I look into venting the forge? Thanks for your time and help.

Welcome aboard... Don't be surprised if your thread gets moved to the Gas Forge section, where you might get more answers. Knowing where in the world you are located may help also.

I don't think that would provide enough ventilation without having enough air movement. Our shop is 10 feet wide and 44 feet long and it has a 30 foot open side (half wall) and doors on both ends. When we tried running our propane forge inside, the carbon monoxide detector sounded and the CO levels were too high. CO is nothing to fool with, it will kill you.

We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile.

Our solution was to put the forge on a wheeled cart and move it outside the walk through door to run it. If you can post some pictures of your set up, maybe someone will have a better idea. Maybe an exhaust fan in a window near the forge. In any case I suggest having a CO detector in the shop.

100_2136.thumb.JPG.5fb8ba1e922ef368a7e241174885ddfc.JPG

A easy way to check that is by getting something that smokes a lot, place it into something you can safely hold, and walk around the shop. If the smoke stays in the shop you have bad ventilation. I usually use white sage for that.

My shop is in a small 1 car garage, not  a whole lot bigger than yours. When i was using propane i kept 1 door open and put an exhaust fan in the wall up under the eave. Never once did a CO detector go off. 

Just read the 2 replies, that is a pretty good suggestion. I am a smoker and when i light up in the shop i can watch the cigarette smoke float up and towards my exhaust fan. 

How much wind do you usually get?  If you have openings along the usual path of the wind that can help a lot.  I tell folks I don't start closing down the opposing 10'x10' roll up doors till the wind starts blowing anvils over...(I also have open gables on the shop and it's 20'x30' with 10' walls....)