I Forge Iron

Troubles with BLO

B3NDY

Hi, so Iv been using a waxy finish for a while and it's alright for batch work because of the minimal residue, and if there is any it's not oily once it has set but if wanted to check out how BLO looks since it seems to be very popular. My issue is firstly I tend to get inconsistent results with it, some parts blacken a lot with a matte look while other parts seem to go to a glossy black, I'm guessing this is due to different temps but what should I be aiming for? Also I tend to find that by rubbing off the residue, the highlights from wire wheeling the edges of twists end up rusting quite quickly, even inside. Is there any way to help get the finish to stick to these highlighted edges which are almost base metal by that point because this has been an ongoing issue for me.

Thanks

BLO alone is too heavy to make a good finish. Try BLO and turpentine 50%\50% and beeswax. Apply at a black heat.

I usually mix a quart of each and a walnut/ golfball sized piece of beeswax. 

I mix and heat in my forge in a gallon paint can. Keep the lid handy. If it flashes, put the lid on and remove from heat. 

Apply with a rag. 

I do maintain the 50/50, but add beeswax depending on how you want the consistency. I like a liquid.

The hardest part is getting an even heat at the proper black heat temp. If it's too hot it smokes off and too cold it won't dry or some in. If your heat is not consistent, it will be as you stated above. It takes a bit of practice.

Clean with alcohol to remove grime etc, then apply a light coat of a carnival based furniture/car wax. Buff. It should make highlights on high points, depending on how hard you buff the wax. It should not rust inside. Depending on where you are, it will hold up outside for around a year.

By the way, this is a traditional finish for both wood and iron.

I've made BLO/turpentine/beeswax mixes at both "50/50 + lump" and "equal parts of all ingredients" proportions. Like anvil, I do like a liquid especially since it's easier to get into the interstices of a complex surface. One of these days, I'm going to try making it with carnauba wax instead of beeswax, to see if I can get a drier shine than you get with beeswax.