I Forge Iron

i'm new to metal...

Amanda

Hello Everyone!
Just found the IForgeIron site today while searching online for information about metalworking. Does anyone know how to find a sponsor for education? Any ideas? I'd love to go to school, but being a single mom with two little girls- it would be hard to afford the 40 hours a week for classes. AND I would also have to move an hour and a half north to Stoughton, WI to attend the Howard Metal Academy of the Arts- which is where I now have my heart set on going....even if it takes me until I am 60 years old to get there! :P
Any suggestions or ideas are welcome! Even just general information about starting out in learning the metalworking trade would be so appreciated!
Thanks!
A:rolleyes:

Go to IForgeIron.com > Getting Started
Go to IForgeIron.com > Lessons in Metal working > Blacksmithing
After reading that material, start digesting the rest of the IForgeIron site. It may take a while (grin). The IForgeIron archives are at the bottom right of the Forum page. Click on Archive, click a section, click a sub-section, and notice there are several pages listed 2, 3, 4, etc at the top of the thread list. Everything can not be listed on just one page. (BIG GRIN).

You can get started with a solid fuel forge for under $20. If you are a scrounger, you can obtain most everything you need with very little investment of money. Go to IForgeIron.com > Blacksmithing Groups for a organization near you. They will jump start your education at the first visit.

If you run out of things to read, go the the IForgeIron.com > Blueprints, IForgeIron.com > Lessons in metalworking > Blacksmithing > LB0008 Reference material, and LB0008.0001 Reference Material. There are a couple of on line books on the subject listed there.

Welcome to IForgeIron, ask questions, read the materials suggested, and come back to ask more questions. Blacksmithing is good, but metal also covers non-ferrous metals, so don't limit your options.

Hang out here and read through the blue print section. We have many experienced , not so experienced and novice smiths on here. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. You will find this a very helpful group.
Finnr

Welcome Amanda!

You've come to the right place.

Check into any local blacksmithing associations - ( any IL folks here that can help her with leads?) they're a great source of networking.

Does a community college near you offer metal arts classes? They're often not as expensive if the have an adult education program.

Are there any fairs or festivals that feature blacksmiths? The folks working those may have some local names that you could hook up with.

Mostly it sounds like you have the passion and desire! Those are the most important tools you have and they'll take you as far as you want to go.

Keep us up to date on how it's going!

I looked at Howard's web page and it looks like a nice place to go since they have a blacksmith studio as well a complete jewelry section. Did you see the latest issue of Art Jewelry Magazine and the article on Jaclyn Davidson? It has an interview and gallery of her steel & gold jewelry, great stuff. Good luck in your education.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INFO! I so appreciate the help, you have no idea. Bentiron1946: No, I have not seen the Art Jewelry Magazine, but the article and magazine sound like they would be right up my alley. I am indeed interested in learning how to make jewelry and also larger metal sculpture pieces (my mother is a Gourd Artist from Grayslake, IL and my Grandfather was a Foundry worker by trade, and a woodcarver as a hobby...so I have been raised to have appreciation for the Arts, and I did get lucky since I did get smacked by the Creative Branch so to speak). I feel I've found my calling after 31 years and CANNOT WAIT to get started! Thank you again, all of you, for your kind and helpful words!

Amanda,

Sounds like you have already graduated for the University of Hard Knocks!:D So it will all be down hill from here. Where there is a will there is a way. Like the about have mentioned you have found people here that are willing to help you get started.

BTW Welcome IFI.

Larry

Welcome, until you get the $ and time to get a formal training, start collecting some tools and try to learn as much as posible by other means, here being one of the best, books, other inter-net sources and local groups. If you want it bad enough, and it sounds like you do, then it will happen, maybe not as soon as you might like but you'll make it.

welder19