I Forge Iron

Hole in bottom of anvil leads to missing 6 LBS?

I recently got a 194# soderfors anvil,and cant be happier with most of it.I was chipping and scraping paint off from the last owner who had it as a lawn ornament for 10 years,I appreciate the thick coat of rust oleum because otherwise it might not have held up so well to mother nature.I was scraping the bottom and discovered a pea sized hole that I can poke an 8 inch wire up inside and it seems to go from near one side of the base toward the center.I was able to flip it over today and fill it with almost a cup of water,the base sits on the outer most of each side and doesn't wobble ,but has an arch of free space between where it makes contact.I cant help but think that Soderfors did not set out to make a 194 # anvil and I want to fill the hole with lead,and maybe the gap in the middle too while Im at it.What would you do?The anvil bounces a bearing from 10 inches back to 9.5 + and doesn't seem to be disfunctional in any way,but I know its there and wanted to hear suggestions.The pea hole is in the water the base has drilled holes on each end and was bolted down previously.The staightedgeis propped over the gap and is not touching the water

20200703_212350[1].jpg

Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

No telling what the hole is, I'd guess it's a casting defect. If the missing 6lbs bothers you I'll dispose of it for you. Just say the word and I'll PM my mailing address. 

Joking aside I strongly doubt it's an issue with performance just put it to work. 

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Branding Iron said:

leave it alone!

Yep, all it needs is to be mounted securely and hot steel hammered on it.   BTW:  mikej... Have you read the Read This First thread yet, (up in the blue banner). It will help in getting the best out of the forum with a lot of tips.