I Forge Iron

Welded face wrought iron hammer

Momatt

First successful welded face hammer I like it a lot. I started with a 3.5 pound church of wrought iron anchor chain and forge welded on a 1/2 inch face and a little wedge for the peen. I put it back in hot vinegar for a little more etch before I handle it. 

BB2B5A70-DF28-4908-AE63-BE3867EB33A1.jpeg

7D6C6197-7447-4EBF-ADB1-DD82E6D10A36.jpeg

B12FC42C-9539-4591-ADC0-CA3BDDA21A37.jpeg

Nice.  Looking very viking hammer inspired.  You will fall in love with the thwack sound the composite hammer makes.  I use mine on most of my forgings.  Next time I recommend a slightly larger eye, but I understand it can be difficult to drift in WI without splitting.  It can help if you start with a  longer slot punch.

Thanks latticino, I am working on a bigger drift, I like a bigger handle hole. I just used it to rough forge a drift from a section of jackhammer bit and also used the peen to spread a rr spike as wide as I could. The peen is aggressive. I punched the hole where the hammer tongs balanced. Not sure if I like a balanced hammer. I think most of mine are a little toward the point.  This was some gooD wrought very little delamination while forging even when it hit a little colder