I Forge Iron

Coal Forge Repair

Good morning monks of the coal forge

I have rescued a coal forge, which I am very excited about, and was getting it cleaned up and about to start fabricating a new Tuyere.  However, there is a stress crack off the firpot (see pics) and someone has repaired it with what looks like JB Weld or something.  

I know I need to mud the main basin, but is this usable with the current crack?

49984982672_de6580247c_c.jpg

49984982602_708656b5cb_c.jpg

49984982757_61e8f93a63_c.jpg

Wow that's a lot of cruft just to get here:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49984982672_de6580247c_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49984982757_61e8f93a63_c.jpg

Yes it's usable; it was probably run without the clay at some point and cracked due to temperature stress. If you want to you can drill and bolt mending plates to it or have it CORRECTLY welded up with cast iron welding.

Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST -  It will help in getting the best out of the forum with tips like editing your profile to show your location to show it as so many answers depend upon knowing where in the world you are located and others may help in flying under the moderators radar.:)

Welcome aboard Redstone, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

When you "Clay" the forge do NOT use: "mud",  cement, mortar, furnace cement/mortar, etc. Just use clayey dirt with JUST ENOUGH moisture you can ram it hard with the end of a 2" x 4", wooden mallet, etc. If it is about 2-3 parts sand to 1 part clay it will harden nicely and not shrink check when the last bit of moisture dries.

Fish plating the crack as Thomas describes will do good things for it. Especially if you stop the crack by drilling a SMALL hole where it ends. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the advice.  I will drill it down by the bowl where the crack seems to stop. I will give it some TLC and hopefully get it up and running.  I will research and make a decision on how to 'clay' it as I do not want to damage it further.

Looking forward to the project.

Remember that in blacksmithing *everything* is a "consumable"---including the smith!  Some things last longer than others with anvils generally good for a number of smiths.

Everybody likes the old cast iron forges; but they are "fragile" as well as heavy to move.  I started making mine from steel decades ago and never looked back.

Thomash those smith i know are in their 70 and 80 (both brothers)  , they are realy older guys and vital, i am geting some superstition that blacksmiths live longer :D  maybe cause of steel expsure  wich is tough material.

Could be; of course steady exercise and a good diet can help a lot; I've known several smiths who were still smithing in their 80's and 90's. On the other hand my Great Grandfather the smith died in his 50's. (Granny lived into her 90's though.) 

The blower seems to be in pretty good condition, I think I will do as you guys suggest and pack it with clay/sand and see how it goes.  I love giving older stuff a chance but I really would like to get away from my propane forge and start learning solid fuel coal and charcoal forging.