I Forge Iron

Doubling Buffer Wheels?

I have been using a 10" spiral sewn buffer wheel on antlers for a long time, and my wheel is getting worn down.  It is cotton (or muslin) and is about 3/4 inch thick.  Thinking about getting a new buffing wheel but am having a really hard time finding one that is 3/4 " thick which is what I like. It has a 5/8" hole.  Is there any problems with getting two of them at 3/8" thick and stacking them on the buffer spindle? I figure if stacked tightly there will not be a problem.

Even better...if someone can point me in a direction to get one that is about 3/4" it would be appreciated. I still have a little life in the old one but my health is finally at the point I just might be able to build again and am planning ahead.

Thanks!

Moosetrot

You got me there Moosetrot. It'd be easy to connect two 3/8" buffs together with needle and thread. It doesn't take much and upholstery thread is light and strong. Stitch them up on the spindle of course. I'm not wrong assuming you've done a web search am I? :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

No Frosty, You are not wrong.  Been everywhere I know of on the net and can't find what I am looking for.  I did get lucky and found some 4X36 400 and 600 grit sanding belts at what may be an incorrect price so I ordered a 10-pack of each.  Home Depot, believe it or not.