I Forge Iron

Little dog’s head hammer

Momatt

I find joy in being able to make tools. I have wanted to try one of these for beveling blades. This was a piece of pto shaft that whatever it is is Hardenable. Split oak handle block planed to shape. The little facets feel good in the hand. 

D509CD85-9A40-40DC-A1FA-DB2BB4134F07.jpeg

726B5582-A59E-4AD3-9DAD-ECF16E1FDDAD.jpeg

FDD3621A-8284-4861-9A01-348F741AE42F.jpeg

50EB2430-65BB-4B8A-B02C-CA3200A3D9F9.jpeg

It's kind of light, I think 26 ounces or so.  I have three more handles to make for hammers and a hot cut before I will let myself forge anymore.  Looking forward to trying this hammer out.  

I have a new handle making process that is working well.  I split a billet out, trace the eye with good grain orientation in pencil.  I shape an inch or so of the end with my 2x72 grinder to the pencil lines.  Then I go outside and clamp the wood in my post vice and with a sharp block plane set for a heavy cut plane it close to the eye.  Its a lot more pleasant than doing the whole handle on the grinder.

Thomas, A few years ago I really got in axes, I was buying heads and making hafts.  At that time I made a shave horse and was using draw knifes.  That is a marvelous way to quickly shape wood.  I remember thinking wow this is like a bandsaw!  I also used a spokeshave to finish up and that is a sweet efficient way to make a handle.  Since I don't have a shave horse currently I have been using a lie-neilsen block plane with an adjustable mouth, easier to navigate around the blank.  I set it for a heavy cut and in the oak I have been using it does a pretty good job.

You have me thinking that I need to make another shave horse!  Here is my old tulip poplar horse that rotted too close to the chicken house

shave.jpg

Now you can try to find one of the tulip popular slabs with the wild purple, black and dark green colours and treat it with a UV blocking finish for your main board!  (When I worked in a custom wood shop we would make mantels, wainscot and judges panels for a local builder. He would always specify "paint grade" which is where the wildly coloured tulip popular boards would go.  He later told us he never painted them, stained them and left the colours visible.)

Drawknife and spokeshave are great handle making tools and if you have a shave horse even better! 

5 hours ago, Momatt said:

It's kind of light, I think 26 ounces or so

I do like mine a little heavier, so I can get things done faster, but that is still a very useful size.  I took a class in forging Sushi knives once and that was the size hammer the teacher provided for student use to any beginners.