I Forge Iron

Flame quality

deepwater

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

Deepwater, Your images are up to 3 megs in size.  I have resized and adjusted each image so they will fit into the forum.

Glenn,  I apologize if i did something wrong.  But I'm confused, the first three images a couple posts up I uploaded though the thread's reply uploaded and I thought that it resized them to a forum friendly size on upload.  I just checked one in that post and it was only 67k.  All the others in my write-up describing how I made the T are hosted on my personal website and resized by me before I stuck them there,.  Not one is larger than 112k.  Further, the flame images that I uploaded through the reply dialog are all 112k or smaller.  Not sure why they would all be 3mb or bigger after upload as they are 112k or smaller on my computer>

Again, sorry if I did it wrong.  I did try to look through the site for upload protocols and BBCode recommendations and found nothing except that BBCode seems to be turned on an works natively without additional steps.

I did initially upload some of the images to a personal gallery here on IFI, it didn't seem to give me any image size constraints and seemed to automatically resize them on upload. I could not to find a way to link those uploaded to member gallery and use them inline in my post as it uses gallery software so i moved to hosting them myself.  I typically prefer to have inline images as part of the actual site as they seem to have the best long term functionality and create many fewer broken links in a few years when peoples personal and flickt/imgur/etc hosting changes. Nothing more frustrating than finding a potential answer to a future problem only to find the original image a big red x of death.

Again, if i did it wrong i apologize.  I've moderated similar forums before and understand bandwidth /etc concerns.

You have done nothing wrong as we are trying to work out the details in order to get images with your posts.

Usually a image size of 500 pixels (longest direction) will load.  This will allow you to load them directly into your post in the forum.  When you post the images into the gallery it posts the same image into the forum to alert folks there is new material in the gallery.  Multiple images results in multiple posts and can tie up the bandwidth of those trying to view just the forum.   

One suggestion would be to crop any image with extra material down to what you want us to see. 

image.png

d20.jpg

Some of your images are in png format.  For this forum jpg is better.

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

.....When you post the images into the gallery it posts the same image into the forum to alert folks there is new material in the gallery.  Multiple images results in multiple posts and can tie up the bandwidth of those trying to view just the forum.   

So we shouldn't use the gallery?  That's fine and sorry if I misunderstood its purpose and functions with this site's software.  Or am I misunderstanding you still?  I suspect I am. If I just upload an image to my member gallery how would the site know what forum to put it in?

Again, I suspect there is something weird software-wise happening here also.  You said some of my images were approaching 3megs but I've triple checked my files, I've done a lot of photo editing in my time and have a software and naming protocol very specific to me. I know for a fact the largest image I uploaded was <350k and most were <150k with a few <70k

Would it be ok we pull this into a new tread in support subforum (or wherever you prefer) or move it to pm?  I like the conversation but i feel my original posts and questions were already being befuddled by other stuff not relate to me and now this is just going to bury my actual questions and comments.  I'd be happy to continue this discussion and try to figure it out.  Researching seems to show that image usage here is confusing to many people.  I'm struggling and I have moderated forums such as this in past.

Is it OK that I use BBCode to place images hosted at my own site inline with my text?  Some places prefer that, for many it is a big no no. I have tried to find this info but the only thing I have found regarding images or the gallery is very outdated with the most recent post being from 2017.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Some of your images are in png format.  For this forum jpg is better.

I'll try to crop closer in the future.  But, I promise no image I have uploaded or linked has been in png format.  That is not a format I have ever, or current used. I've checked the images on my end that I've uploaded and none were in png when I uploaded them.  As with the file size, I think the forum software is doing something hanky during upload