I Forge Iron

Truck Crane

Since I will have some limitations on what I can lift for a while, I thought one of those truck bed boom cranes would be just the ticket to move my anvil in and out of the truck. Harbor Freight has one for about $140 with a bottle jack and a wratchet crank that will lift 1000#. Northern tool has one for $100 but without the wratched crank. Seems like it would be a bit slower. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

QC

QC, I have one of the harbor freight crane's (the one without the winch) I added a electric winch near the post and put a pulley at the very end of the crane. I welded a plate to the frame under the bed to bolt the crane to. I have been pleased with it for the last 6 years. I use it to lift anvils and such (up to 400-500 lbs)into a tall 4wd 3/4 ton dodge.

OK, went to HF and bought a small, hydraulic lift good for 1000lbs for $75. It has no hand winch on it because that one was an extra $50 and was about twice as big for the same capacity. This one should do what I need to do just fine and save wear and tear on my back. All I need now is a couple of bales of hay and I will pass for a real farmer.

Nope, I haven't seen any drive-ins in Indiana, just joking about taking my truck to the bar. I can't remember where, but I have seen a couple liquor stores with a drive up window. Yes, the liquor store, that's one place where a good pickup truck with a crane could be handy.

I gotta get the Dr. to release me to work before I can mount it. I may paint it Batman Black, too, to match my bed liner. The Chinese have a color that can only be described as "Day Old Puke" that they think is orange. I am not driving around with a Puke Colored winch in my nice Green Tundra. The healing process continues at a marvelous pace. I am down to one pain killer per day ( 16 were prescribed) and I can walk anywhere without pain. If I felt any better, I'd have to hire someone to help me enjoy it!

Philip, what the heck is a unimog? The crane I bought at Harbor Freight was made in China and is rated at 1000 lbs. It is a manual hydraulic system only. To get a bigger one, you would need to check out someplace that deals with commercial truck equipment. Let me know if I can help you search from this end.

Unimog's are cool looking :cool: but alas no A/C and I'm a whimp any more when it comes to creature comforts. There are a couple that run up and down Cave Creek Road on ocassion. There are a few around town that are surplus from the Austrain military that were sold here a few years ago. Is yours a four or a six wheel version. If a four wheeled version you could still mount the 500# crane on it.

I've seen 13' extendahoe's (backhoe) mounted on Unimogs along with loader buckets, drill rigs and all kinds of stuff.

How large a crane you could put on one depends on what you're going to do with it. I suspect it'd support an impressive ginpole but smaller jib boom. At least what a 1 ton pickup could with the caveat to watch side loading, they're tippier.

You can get air conditioners for Unimogs but most owners just drive them through a deep lake or river to cool off. Snorkels come standard.

Frosty

It would all depend on the model and size of the vehicle, on our service trucks we have all diferent size and style cranes on trucks that range in the Ford F-350-F-650 and GMC Top Kick's. From small 2000 lb electric over hydraulic to 20,000 lb pto driven hydraulic straight and knuckle booms.
So like I said it depends on size and style of vehicle and how much you want to spend, also if you have a pto or if you can put one on, I don't know much about Unimog's but I would imagine at least some of them would have to be pto capable.

welder19