I Forge Iron

Castable refractory

Does anybody know if this product, "Castable Refractory Cement, 45% Alumina Low Cement Castable" link removed  is decent as an inner shell over Kaowool? I am trying to make a relatively small propane forge and am trying to decide on a castable refractory lining that I can buy without paying for shipping, as I need only a small amount and ordering online would have me pay more for shipping than the actual product. If anyone has other suggestions on any other castable refractory that I can buy locally, I would be grateful. I live about 20 miles north of Portland Oregon, if you don't know where Ridgefield, Wa  is. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, Uber, Lyft, and others expect to be paid for their services.  If you want any product delivered to you, expect to pay the shipping cost somewhere. 

If you buy locally, there is no free shipping as you have the cost of your vehicle, vehicle insurance, taxes, operating costs, etc that have to be paid before you can put your vehicle on the road.  Then there is your time and mileage added to the list.  With the current restrictions on unnecessary trips and social distancing in effect, your going after that local product can get very expensive if you are caught and fined for being out.  It does happen.  

There is no free shipping and there is no free lunch.

8 hours ago, Glenn said:

If you buy locally, there is no free shipping as you have the cost of your vehicle, vehicle insurance, taxes, operating costs, etc that have to be paid before you can put your vehicle on the road.  Then there is your time and mileage added to the list. 

Good point. I didn't think about it like that.

You can contact a local HVAC supply and service company they MIGHT be willing to sell a few lbs of good flame contact refractory. Were you near Spokane you could visit Distribution International but I doubt they'd break a sack but if they service furnaces they may have a broken sack of Kastolite 30 in the warehouse you could talk them out of. The Anchorage branch is occupied by great guys. 

Buying 5lbs. from Glenn on the other hand is probably a lot cheaper than driving to Spokane just to find out if you're in luck. 

Frosty The Lucky.