I Forge Iron

columbia vise and hello

bullchuck

i have been reading on this site for a while. there is alot of good info here. i am not into the blacksmithing my self just play around with metal as a hobby. i have a few toys to play with-miller 210 welder , victor cutting torch, drill press, hyd tubing bender, metal benders, scroll jig, misc. hand tools. what i am looking for is some info and if possibe parts for a 6 1/2" columbia leg vise i just picked up for $25.00. any help would be great.

thanks mark

7368.attach

7369.attach

7370.attach

Almost forgot...If you will go to the top of the page and click on "User CP" in the green bar and edit your profile as to where you live you might find out that there is someone in your area that may have parts for this vise. Shoot, if nothing else they can help you make it!

This is a pic of the spring I made for my 4" post vise last week. I also had to make new wedges but you won't need to as your's uses a "U" clamp.

I used a piece of leaf spring I cut to width in my bandsaw. Forged the tabs, end clip and arched it the way the spring on my 5 1/2 Indian Chief is. I didn't heat treat the spring, other than normalizing after forging. Normalized is brought to critical temp (non-magnetic and a bit) and allowed to air cool. This helps relieve the stresses of forging without fully softening the steal. (annealing) It has plenty of rebound as is seeing as it only has to open the vise jaws.

The vise is in pieces in the shop right now waiting for the paint to cure before I put it together and mount it.

Frosty

7379.attach

Edited by Frosty
spelling

frosty thanks for the picture. now i have an idea on how to make a spring. will any leafe spring work or dose it have to be a special size? in your picture the spring looks pretty thick. thanks for the help. this place has alot of info, and ideas.

thanks mark

Well you got a sweet anvil, a very nice leg vise and now all you need is fire. You mean to tell me there wasn't a blower and forge in that lot of free stuff? If you go to the Blueprint section I'm sure that you can find plans for a forge and put your welder to work and build one. Have fun and keep us up to date with pics on your builds.:D