I Forge Iron

Removing pommel form an old knife

FatFrumos

Hello.  I bought a nice little knife on a flea market with the intent of restoring it.  It's a Wes-Cut K5 hunter, in case anyone dealt with them before.  I'm stuck trying to remove the pommel - it is made of aluminum, so I have to be careful with it to avoid dents and other deformations.  Looks like a narrow slot was cut in it and the tang was glued in.  So far, the only two things I tried were heating up the tang with a torch to soften the glue and putting some liquid wrench in there, but it seems pretty stuck.  If worst comes to worst, I will try to drill along the slot with a small diameter drill to give me a place to wiggle it off, but I was wondering if you can think of other options.  Is there a chemical solution that penetrates and dissolves the old glue?

Thank you!

Luka

pommel.jpg

I don't think there is a cross pin, unless it had been blended very well.  I'll look again.  As to heating up, I was doing it to break up the structure of old glue. But you are right, I can probably try and expand the pommel.  Are there any gotchas on heating aluminum with a torch?

300-350f. will typically un-stick most epoxies, I strongly doubt they's use a phenolic or other high temp glue. YOu can TRY Toluene but if heat won't break it toluene may be futile. Just stand it on end in a tall jar with enough toluene to cover the visible joint.

What are your plans if there's no way to get it off without damage or destruction?

I'm looking at a perfect opportunity for easy replacement. Make a two part mold with the tang laying on the parting line between cope and drag. Cut the old one off and clean up the tang. Lay it in the mold and pour aluminum for your new pommel. 

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm looking at a perfect opportunity for easy replacement. Make a two part mold with the tang laying on the parting line between cope and drag. Cut the old one off and clean up the tang. Lay it in the mold and pour aluminum for your new pommel. 

Hmmmm?

That sounds extremely interesting, but I have never done molding, neither do I have tooling for holding liquid aluminum.  One day, but probably not now. 

6 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I have one and there is a small pin holding the pommel.  You may have to polish it a little to see it.

Good thing I asked.  I guess it got hidden by all the scratches and small dents.  Thank you!

Aluminum expands more than steel with heat so the gap between pin and pommel should enlarge. Perhaps a little ink or heck any water based dye would be absorbed and mark the pin. Red CoolAid is a strong dye, kids have to grow it out of their hair. If the subject is warm the dye will be drawn in as it cools. Enhanced capillarity.

Frosty The Lucky.