I Forge Iron

Soderfors 54lbs anvil

Hi All, I have just found this  anvil on our family farm and wondering if anyone can give me some information. How old? How common? Worth$? And any other interesting info.My Great grandfather was a saddler and blacksmith and grandfather was a saddler, so we suspect we know where it came from. Cheers Mick

20200209_191918.jpg

20200209_191859.jpg

20200209_191933.jpg

20200209_191951.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photos.

Nice. Price really depends on where you are. Around my area it would be worth maybe $200 at the top end and probably closer to $125-$175 but it surely would be no problem to sell it. It would probably get sold in a day or two at the most. I would like to see an anvil like that one for sale in my area. I'd jump on it.

Pnut

Unfortunately no, I don't know all the little details about anvils. There's plenty of members here that can tell you when an anvil was made by the serial numbers or would have the book to look it up. The only things I really know about them is if they are in good shape, if they are good tools and what I should have to pay to get it. It's still pretty early here in the US so it might take a few hours before one of the more knowledgeable members get around to responding. There's a few Soderfors afficionados that I'm sure you'll be hearing from.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Pnut

Welcome aboard... have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST   It will help you get the best out of the forum. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. There are a bunch of members from "down under" even have a dedicated thread and a bunch of great folks.

That's the date so whatever you can read on it.  Anvils don't usually get a bump on pricing for being old till they are pre-1800 as they wear like iron and so most of us are probably using 100+ year old anvils. (I have an 1828 William Foster anvil I use at times.)

It is a cast STEEL anvil and considered quite a good brand indeed!  As I recall anvils go high in Australia; but you would have to talk with local smiths to find out what the going rate is locally.

54 pounds is small for a smithing anvil; but would make a great one for use in a harness maker's shop!