I Forge Iron

Buying a forge

Matthew H

On 1/19/2020 at 12:48 AM, MCalvert said:

Does the company provide rigidizer, cast-o-lite equivalent, and Plistix? These necessary things may be extra costs to consider.

I could be wrong, but don't think rigidizer is a good choice on rigid ceramic board. coating layer materials are fine,  though.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for the replies - I didn't realize that iForge wasn't sending me notification when people replied so I just saw the responses now! 

I ended up getting some el-cheapo firebrick (not the soft kind) from Rona and and use a bernzomatic torch hooked up to my bbq propane tank.  The interior is only one brick thick and maybe a couple of inches wide, but it's been enough to make a bunch of napkin rings with leafs on them and to heat treat a stock-removal knife. 

I used some charcoal for a big enough fire to make some really really ugly tongs.

But I've found some suppliers for kaowool and refractory cement etc, and found that my brother in law has a drill press as well as a wielder, so I think I'll make a propane-tank forge at some point!

• 1 year later...

Wow, I haven't been on here for 2 years and did not see any of your responses. Thank you all for your time, its been awhile now and i have not got rigidizer for the forge. I did realize I did not need that, sorry for not responding to any of you it was rude of me, but i did not get any notifications of anything.

Thank you,

-Matthew H