I Forge Iron

Coating your forge

I just recently purchased a forge and have a few questions about where to go from here. The forge came with a rigidizer which from my knowledge is just to harden and hold the kaowool in place. I know ITC-100 seems to be the go to refractory but it’s not available in my area. I uploaded a picture below of some stuff that’s readily available which says it’s heat resistant up to 3000F. Wondering if that’s a waste of time and money to use that product. TIA!

C2A74E11-C104-44B1-8F25-346BF427F170.png

Nope that stuff is for sticking bricks together and will not hold up in the forge.   Kastolite 30 li is what I’d recommend.   It stays rock hard even at 3000f and it very resistant to flux

Yes the rigidzer stiffens the wool giving a good base to support the refactory and also helps keep the wool from shrinking over time from thermal cycling.  

If you’ll edit your profile to include your general location I might be able to recommend a place to get the kastolite 30.   Many things are dependent on location so just telling me in this thread won’t do much good as it will get forgotten next time you have a question.  You might be surprised how many helpful members live near by. 

15 hours ago, LucBartek said:

ITC-100 seems to be the go to refractory

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

ITC-100 is not a refractory but a coating used in furnaces and kilns to keep items from sticking to the shelves.

8 hours ago, Glenn said:

This is where posting your location is important. If in the USA IFI can ship it to your door.

I’m from Canada. But yes I’ll do that it makes complete sense I will update my profile right away. Thanks Glenn

3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

ITC-100 is not a refractory but a coating used in furnaces and kilns to keep items from sticking to the shelves.

9 hours ago, Jasent said:

If you’ll edit your profile to include your general location I might be able to recommend a place to get the kastolite 30.   Many things are dependent on location so just telling me in this thread won’t do much good

I will update my profile with my location ASAP. Thanks for your input appreciate it!

I found some kastolite 30 that is in Canada. My last question is how much will I need for a forge that is 5.6” x 5.6” x 16” long. it comes in two sizes. A 55lb bag and a 9.2lb bag. Does anyone have any idea if the 9.2lb bag will be adequate?

9 hours ago, pnut said:

You can order it from iforgeiron. PM Glenn for details.

Thanks for your input pnut!

That’s close to the size of my forge and I used less than 10lbs but I made my floor 1/2”-5/8” thick in place of a kiln tile.    50lbs is way more than you’ll need but forge linings are consumables so that’s up to you.   Though that much will last a very long time

• 1 month later...