I Forge Iron

Cliff Carroll Anvil Review

I got a new new anvil!!  Not only in this Cliff Carroll wide face anvil new to me, it's brand new in general.  First impressions as I wait to build a stand for it, I do like it.  I wanted a movable and new anvil as I think used anvils are kind of expensive and I'm just starting out.

The Cliff Carroll wide face anvil has sharp edges on the main face that I will leave in for a bit to see what I think of that.  I do like how the heel of the anvil has a slightly increasing radius from the factory on it.  It is a Farrier anvil, so it does have a clip horn on it.  I think the horn is cool looking, but haven't been able to try it out from a practical stand point yet.  It's a bit flatter on top than other anvils I've used at the hammer ins with the local blacksmith club.  

It does seem like the Cliff Carrolls and NC tool anvils go for a hard face and a softer horn that should work harden with age.  So it will be interesting to see how that goes with a newby like me using this as my first anvil.  I do really look forward to making a stand for it and taking it with me to our hammer ins.

I'll update my review in the future, but wanted to start something on this anvil as all my search efforts I can't find a dedicated topic for just Cliff Carroll.

Thanks - Tim

Ok, unlike other anvil manufactures they don’t tell you what material it is, I will make some assumptions based on my experience with modern farrier anvils and Cliff Carrol in general. 

Most likely it’s a cast and heat treated ductile iron (a shock resistant grade of cast iron that makes satisfactory anvils). This is a bit softer than the best tool steel faces and the edges chip as can any anvil. 

The flat topped horn is useful  for shaping keg shoes, but takes just bit of a different technic to use. 

Personaly ease the sharp edges  on the anvil face, if you need a sharp edge use the clip horn.

in general it's a serviceable  anvil, but remember it’s designed to turn scrolls primarily so the sweet spot is over the wasp waist not the front foot