I Forge Iron

Anyone ever use a Cliff Carroll Anvil?

I like the design myself. A ferriers anvil would suit most of my work very well. Espically that oversized horn. Nice find.:) ..I just looked at the price. I expected them to be higher than that.

Cliff carrol are well known farriers anvils, theire verry good to work with for farriers work, in fact i'm looking to buy one (still in doubt between a cliff carrol or a blue devil), they are made to be mobile for the modern farrier, thats way they are light, they are made not to hard, beacuse of this (a thin boddy, in to hard steel would be to bridle , horn might brake) also, because they lack boddy, they have a tendency to heat up quicly when used for general blacksmithing work (mutch more hopt iron on them then for farriers work) , so an older one might have become softer over time because of this (if its been used for athor work than horse shoeing). so that might be a problem with this one.. besides that,
greath find!

greeting,
Johannes

• 2 years later...

Cliff carrol are well known farriers anvils, theire verry good to work with for farriers work, in fact i'm looking to buy one (still in doubt between a cliff carrol or a blue devil), they are made to be mobile for the modern farrier, thats way they are light, they are made not to hard, beacuse of this (a thin boddy, in to hard steel would be to bridle , horn might brake) also, because they lack boddy, they have a tendency to heat up quicly when used for general blacksmithing work (mutch more hopt iron on them then for farriers work) , so an older one might have become softer over time because of this (if its been used for athor work than horse shoeing). so that might be a problem with this one.. besides that,
greath find!

greeting,
Johannes

I use 2 in my Introduction to Artistic Blacksmithing course and they have help up amazing well considering the lack of hammer control most students have at the beginning of the semester.

It's not bad for an amateur-level anvil or a carry around for pro. I've been using a Cliff Carroll 125 for 2 years now and find it a decent anvil for most light-moderate work. Its 4 3/4" face gives some extra room and the turning cams on the side are handy for bending stock or making consistently-sized S-hooks; plus the graduated radius on the tapered heel works well for starting scroll tips. The face is 48-50 Rockwell C - not as hard as I would like it but adequate - and the horn is not as conical as I would want, it being a farrier anvil and all. This is not the anvil I wanted to get starting out but was able to get it new for almost nothing, so the price did a lot of the selling initially.