I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths with Disabilities

Yesterday I drove about a half hour, got lost twice, to a county historical park where our blacksmithing group might take up permanent residence. When I got there, I discovered it was a 200 yard walk back into the woods. I explained to one of the group that I can't walk that far (see problem defined in "prayerlist") and he said to just drive my truck back there. Works for me. I get back there and I am told that the county wants us to park up at the front and walk back. Well, that dog don't hunt. I drove my truck back up front and just went home. Yes, somebody could have driven my back there but darn it, I don't want to bother somebody to carry me around. It dawned on me that we might have more than a few folks out there who would like to participate in blacksmithing but cannot due to disabilities. I am sure my club never gave it a thought and I know I didn't either until my back gave out. I would suggest each of us be sensitive to the needs of other smiths in our group who might have special needs. We might also consider taking positive action to facilitate participation by the disabled. I have the good fortune to expect to return to a full active lifestyle. Some folks don't.

Quenchcrack, I can empathise. I have cardio-myopathy, in addition to a host of other heart ailments. Thursday and Friday, we had to travel several hours, to do a stair-rail install, 6 hours one day and eight the next. Saturday I was to beat up to even type. Get well soon.

All goverment ownd operations are requierd to have handy cap access and are requierd to make accomidations within reason. as long as its a resonable accomidation they have to do it. The docs just filled out the handycap form for me to get a mirror hanger its not something i need to use all the time but the dang thing shure would be handy when im having problems walking.

How about a golf cart? I dont know what your finances are, but maybe you can get hold of an old electric golf cart and tow it with you to hammer ins etc...
I dont know of any place that wouldnt let you use it if you explained your situation to them.

This is yet another example of how our country got over run with foolish laws. The person that ran you off was faced with the opportunity to do something right and failed. WE pass laws to take that call away from them kind of folks. This happens too many times a day to try and track. In fact it happens so many times that when someone does step up and do something right that is makes news. If folks took care of each other in a reasonable manner folks with disabilities would not have had to seek legislation and enforcement to achieve results, And in many cases still are not treated properly. Ok That is my time on the soap box....next?

Just my thoughts about “Blacksmiths with Disabilities”
I believe that people should remember that “most of us will get old eventually”. Although, that does not mean you will be handicapped. For most of us it does mean that we will slow down quite a bit unless your name is Uri Hofi.
I believe we could substitute the word “Blacksmiths” with the words “Woodworkers”, or “Knitting Enthusiasts”, or “Cactus and Succulent Society Members”, or what ever name fits.
The bottom line is that many people suffer form injuries and or have health issues that limit their ability to move about effectively. They need assistance. The problem seems to be compounded as you add age to the equation.
Although we do have laws that require a certain amount of handicapped parking spaces to be provided by private and public entities, the problem may be compounded by obstacles encountered between the parking area and the place of the event. I feel that this would be a consideration that should be remedied in part by the event sponsor and the individuals who are in need of assistance.
I am not aware of any law that requires assistance by the event sponsor. But I feel it should be a consideration due to the “milk of human kindness” to assist other members who need help.
I have been aware of old or handicapped blacksmiths who at a certain point just stay home. Unless the person is using oxygen there should be no reason to stay away from the fire.
To me, that seems sad given the spirit of what our common bond of blacksmithing represents a basic foundation craft.
I would suggest the following:
#1. The person who is in need of assistance does all in their power to be a part of the solution and do what they can to provide for them selves.
Example: I use two canes and keep a walker in my vehicle just in case.
#2. That organizations include potential solutions in their planning, to assist members that need assistance.
#3. That the people who are in need of assistance contact the event sponsors and tell them of their issues and needs well in advance of the event.

Ted

Edited by Ted T

If you have a handicap mirror hanger or lic. plate they'll let you park virtually anywhere within reason.

Hope you won't need one though. I'll say a word for you on your surgery and a quick recovery.

I have another friend going in to have some shoulder work done tomorrow.

I have a feeling it'll be a FINE day for surgery. Follow the docs orders, do the pain meds and PT. You'll heal much faster, I pushed the weight restrictions and ended up having a fifth surgery on my elbow last January, 16 mos. after the injury and am STILL living with a 10 lb. restriction.

Surgeons do NOT like a high pain threshold!

Frosty