I Forge Iron

Hay Budden serial number

Witchgrass

My BIL just loaned me an anvil that he got in a house purchase.  Best I can tell, It’s a 215 pound Hay Budden. Serial number is 191104.  Can someone verify what year it was made? It’s also got several other numbers on it as well. The first one stamped  on the heal. 105.  I assumed that was the weight, but when I picked it up, I thought that “that’s the heaviest 105 pounds that I ever picked up!”.  I did find 215 stamped under Brooklyn. 
To the far right side of the serial number, is stamped the number 2.

Under the horn-the number 3 is stamped. 
This is the first anvil I’ve used.

Thanks,

When I first graded the anvil to remove it from my BILs truck, he and I both noted the prominent “105” stamped on the side. I just assumed it was 105 pounds.  WRONG.  So, what does the 105 mean? There is a also a 2, and 3 stamped in different locations as well.  Maybe those are meaningless? 

Those will have to wait till tomorrow......

but in the meantime, I also picked up this chunky thing. Don’t see any marks on it, but then again it’s covered in paint.  Might be worthless, but I bought it anyway, just in case my BIL “needs” his back. 

A8580E76-332E-4F69-AEC6-B49EEF3F7BA4.jpeg

9947E103-0363-44BA-82F2-C131C299CD1A.jpeg

85568BC3-9226-47A1-A7AC-7BB59D56BAE4.jpeg

I'm not sure on the brand for that one. The feet look like those of a Colombian, but it doesn't have their markings I suppose it could also be another Hay Budden, just the type with a separate steel face plate.

Looks like a great anvil to me. The chipped edges aren't too big of a problem.

From the amount of honest work that has been done on it (worn edges) it's not worthless for sure. I would clean off the paint with a wire wheel on an angle grinder or use paint remover. Grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face is not recommended. Once it's cleaned up markings might be discernible and you can do a ring & rebound test to see the quality. What does the underside of the base look like? Different shapes like an hour glass will help with the ID. Looks a lot like an Arm & Hammer to me.

It's definitely a cast anvil from the mold line, so my guess is that it's a Colombian. I can just barely make out the triangle on the side in which the "C" was originally cast. That combined with the radiused sweeps along the waist of the anvil that were pretty unique to Colombians makes me fairly confident.

Still could be mistaken though. :)