I Forge Iron

Making a Gas Forge

Owen Hinsman

I've been blacksmithing for a few years now, but only recently have I started building my shop. I already have some tools and an anvil, but so far I have been put off from buying a gas forge online because most of them aren't right for what I'm trying to do. (which is mostly knives, axes, and a whole lot of hooks and other ornamental ironwork.) However, I have no idea where to start with building a forge, so I figured I'd ask some more experienced smiths about it. I'm not totally against buying a forge, but building one seems like the better option for me. 

Knives and axes prefer a different forge than ornamental. Take a look at the "brick pile" forge. It's basically a refractory table and Morgan K-26 IFBs and a burner or two. This lets you build various forges by arranging the bricks to suit the project. After a while you'll come to the shape(s) that suit your work best and you can build a permanent forge if you wish.

One thing for sure you can't build THE perfect forge and if you try you'll end up with at least as many not so useful gas forge dust collectors around the shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, Frosty said:

Knives and axes prefer a different forge than ornamental. Take a look at the "brick pile" forge. It's basically a refractory table and Morgan K-26 IFBs and a burner or two. This lets you build various forges by arranging the bricks to suit the project. After a while you'll come to the shape(s) that suit your work best and you can build a permanent forge if you wish.

One thing for sure you can't build THE perfect forge and if you try you'll end up with at least as many not so useful gas forge dust collectors around the shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Or, as Frosty likes to say, "the perfect is often the enemy of the practica.l" :D

Like your first small sized forge, a brick-pile forge will never sized to be used, at least occasionally, unlike a badly designed forge...