I Forge Iron

Leaf springs?

virginia guy

There is an auto body shop down the street from the lumber yard I work at.
Made real good friends with them.
So far I have complete packs from a Toyota Tacoma, and a 3/4 ton Cheby.
Both were wrecked and the rear ends were replaced.
The Cheby spring is going on the treadle hammer I am building.

They were free!

Alot of times service centers drop off the one that have been changed out on vehicles. So there should be some loose ones around. Same with coil springs.

Also check with local garages. Most of the time they will be glad to give them to you so they don't have to take them away or have to pay some one to do it.

Well for most of us truck springs end up being too heavy to work without a powerhammer or striker.

If it's just a scrap yard take the tools and remove them from the vehicles *SAFELY*. If it's an auto yard then the ones associated with specific vehicles will cost more than random ones found in the weeds.

Be Safe!

I had a student who worked at a place that did ambulence conversions from brand new trucks and the first thing they did was to drop the old springs and install a better set. They discarded the old ones and I soon had a lifetime supply---so check out any local place that does suspension work.

Buddy of mine works at a truck accessories shop that also re-vamps trailers. Scrap hopper usually has a set of new or barely used leafs. They thank me for taking them to free up space in the hopper ;) If I started making blades now with what I dragged home, two things would occur. 1: I would die in many years, single and still penniless, and 2: I will still have lots of springs left over. Then there is the possibility of ripping a hole in the fabric of the universe if I actually complete another knife in this lifetime ..... Basically speaking, springs are not hard to obtain if you just do a little research :D

I get new leaf-spring drops from a spring shop. I like that because it eliminates the possibility of stress fractures that can be there with old springs. I take a small trinket each time I go ask if I can dumpster dive. Can't beat free tool steel.