I Forge Iron

DIY forge building board

angiolino

hello I would like to build a homemade forge with recycled materials, I recycled the container of an old electric water heater, how do you advise me to make it? better to gas or to firewood type brazier. do I have both a gas torch to weld the tarry sheath and a large gas stove? do you need refractory bricks as you advise me to proceed? thanks

bombola.jpg

cisterna.jpg

forgia.jpg

If you're wanting to make a forge check out the 55 forge thread. It has pictures of a fire grate made from a few 3/8 in. round stock.  You can make a tuyere out of auto or truck exhaust pipes. The way you have it set up now isn't going to work for forging.  Check out the jabod threads too it'll give you an idea of what a forge needs to work well. 

You have a 55 forge almost. With a little more work on the fire grate and air supply you'll be ready to go. Look up what a ducks nest is also. Good luck

Pnut

Edited by pnut

sorry could you be clearer, maybe with picture or drawing what should I do to make it usable? sorry if I have an insight, a picture is worth + 100 words thanks for your availability. maybe link me to a picture or similar discussion, thanks again, I'm sorry if I'm boring and repetitive

The link in the post above by Buzzkill is the one I was referring to.  The sideblast 55 in that thread looks nearly identical to what you have already. Your forge is only missing a notch for the pipe for the air supply to come in the side. You nearly have a working forge. Good luck

pnut2019_10_11_04_28_29.png.1b08f6b9b87b3123fabca426b9177128.png

Edited by pnut
added pic