I Forge Iron

Groups near Eureka/Medford, Oregon

Hi all,

On TDY in Eureka, CA through Monday or Tuesday, then Medford, Oregon, then time allowing around Eugene.  Bored and looking to play.  Anybody know any groups holding meetings I could visit over the weekend? Any ironwork worth going to see? Google is being vague, although I found a forge in Ferndale, Ca I might check out tommorow after I burn up the last of my work hours for the week.  Thanks.

For that matter, anybody want to start a group up around Whidbey Island, Mt Vernon, Bellingham, etc in north Washington?  I know we've got smiths, I ran into a guy I saw on FIF at Safeway in Oak Harbor.  All the groups I know of are in Seattle or further south.

If you contact the curator of Ft. Nisqually historic site s/he should be able to put you in contact. The fort has a blacksmith shop and is a living history site. Or was last time I was there, heck I got to talking to the guys and got put to work. It's a cool smithy if you want to play in the Hudson's Bay Company era, "traditional."

Frosty The Lucky.

Ft Nisqually's in Tacoma, right?  A bit far, but not outrageously so.  I know there's groups that meet some in the south Seattle area, and towards Olympia, but I was hoping to start something I didn't have to drive three hours to get to.  Not that I wouldn't, but if there's already smiths in the area, and I don't have to dress 17th century to play...I know there's a lot of beginners interested too. 

I need to do a propane set up, there's tons of the coal in the area (they used to ship heating coal to Hawaii. What the heck do you need heating coal in Hawaii for?), but no active mining, best you can normally do is pay a fortune and drive a long ways, or maybe Tractor Supply type anthracite (blech) and I got tired of mucking around with charcoal.  Most of the available wood is fir and at best alder, and you end up with really light charcoal and spend too much time tending to the fire.   

Got another tip of a "historic village" in the Eureka area, called the Blue Ox I may check out.  Website looks like there's another blacksmith shop, but mostly it focuses on woodworking.  Still kind of fun, but ain't smithing.

Hawaii burned a LOT of coal in the sugar mills. I believe they're burning cane stalks after pressing and drying but I'm not sure. 

I suggested Ft. Nisqually as a contact to get in touch with local smiths and organizations. Closer is better of course. Maybe call a farrier supply, they should know or know someone who does. This kind of search works much better with a phone book and telephone.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...