I Forge Iron

Introducing......The Flamethrower!

PICT0455.JPG
So, last Friday night, I got my new forge up and running. Here's the details...

Old, used Champion 400 firepot I picked up a while back with an airtube assembly I traded for a few weeks ago, a Canedy Otto Hand Crank Blower purchased at auction, an old steel platform base from a scrapped elevator hydraulic setup, and some scrounged cinderblock legs.

I cut a hole for the firepot to set in, and placed firebrick around to help support the pot and make a heat resistant "table". I had to cut an access on the front, to allow easy access to the clinker breaker handle. I fabbed up a mount for the blower, using a 1-1/4 inch hitch bar, and some square tube for it to fit into. This allows easy removal for storage, as I work outside. The blower is plumbed to the airtube using expandable 3" aluminum duct from Home Depot.

PICT0456.JPG
So, I fired it up and was pleased with how it makes fire. I was also amazed how much air that blower creates. All that's needed for forging is a few steady turns. I had a buddy helping with the crankin' in one picture, while I stood behind with an obligatory beverage and looked on.

PICT0450.JPG

Life is good, real good.

There's a few more pics in the gallery. Enjoy. Edited by keykeeper

Thanks fellas.

Sam: I agree totally, after I got everthing going, the wife showed up with the beverage and says "Here, you deserve this after all the time you've been putting in getting this thing together."

Frosty: Actually, the blower is a Canedy Otto, the firepot is a Champion 400. Maybe I should have nicknamed it the "Heinz 57" forge.:D

James: It might melt down a Buick, but the way people are scrapping everything nowadays, I'd have to use a new one to see.

I really like the nice bed of coals it makes once the fire is started. I'm also amazed at how little coal it uses, compared to an electric blower. Seems like hand crank allows for awesome control of the heat, too. It got dark on us the other night, so I didn't get to play much. The following Sunday I got a few hours to play, and was really pleased. It doesn't throw too much flame after the volatile burn out. I was just getting on it a little too much in my excitement, in those pictures.

Nice job.
One thing to keep in mind when using cement blocks is when layed on their side like you have them they are pretty weak and break very easily, not likely a problem since you really don't have that much weight on them but I see people put all kinds of things on them when they are on their sides, like cars and such, not a good idea.
Not picking on you, just wanted to put out that word of caution for those who might not know that.

welder19

Welder19: Thanks for the reminder. I thought about that, and opted to put them like that due to the lack of serious weight on them. The holes provide nice little "niches" to stow hardy tools, short pieces of stock, etc. while I'm working.