I Forge Iron

I have been on the lookout for my first anvil for several months, my budget was small and tonight I saw this one cheap, and I snapped it up. I am now starting to think I have made a mistake. I have no idea what it is, weight, manufacturer etc, the only marking I can find under the green/rust is a stamp of "1/3 1906." The top is dipped/caved in a little.

Top plate is 38cm x 12.5cm. 

Heel to horn point - 63cm

Height - 26cm

Heel thickness - 1.5cm

Does anyone have any opinions on if I should have it repaired/flattened, or just try to use it.

I am assuming manufacturer identification will be impossible, and I dont think it matters to me. Just need some advice.

I am in Denmark, Europe.

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Grinding or milling the hardened face will do more harm than good. It appears to be a serviceable anvil as it is. The dip (we call it a swale) can be an asset for straightening stock. I would suggest using it as is for a year before deciding to do anything with it.

You may be able to find some markings, if the paint & rust is cleaned off with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Some anvils are marked on the side of the next to last picture and on the front feet under the horn.

The sway in that anvil is pretty good.  Sway is caused by the wrought iron below the steel plate being moved.  A lot of work was done on that anvil but if the ball bearing test proves that it has great rebound, it shouldn't hurt you to use it.  A few smiths have fed their families with that anvil and it worked fine with them sway and all.  It's a great starter anvil.  If it were to be milled you would loose all the hardened steel plate on the high areas and would be forging on wrought iron which is a very, very bad thing.  Milling this anvil will ruin it and all the blacksmiths before you will turn over in their graves :unsure:

My anvil has very slight sway and nowhere near as bad as yours and I've had no problems forging on it.  I made a flatter station with a block of steel that is completely flat that I use when I need a flat surface to forge on which isn't that often really.  I mostly use it in the finishing stages with a raw hide mallet.  

DSCN4162.thumb.JPG.bf98a105baf3b5c4ead3360ea021ee7d.JPG

You did OK.  Use it as is, and make a flat plate that you can drop into the hardy hole , or a saddle plate over the middle section if you need a dead flat surface.

The only way that I would approach leveling that would be to weld it up with the proper rods. BUT, that much welding rod, time, and effort would more than likely exceed the cost of an anvil in better condition.

I don't know how difficult it would be for you to source an anvil from the UK, but I know of a guy there who ships them around the world. He has a few hundred from small to over 1,000#. 

Also if you are near any industrial areas you can always do an improvised anvil. Those can be picked up for free or very little cost.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

I have given it a clean up and a light oil to satiate the rust. I am more happy about it every day and will sort a nice "new" log for it and start to work on it. I have a piece of flat plate that I have been using and I will continue to use that for flattening.  

IMG_0723.jpeg

Looks like a great find! I have an old Peter Wright with a wrought iron body, it has about a quarter inch sway but it face is hard and it works great. I would suggest leaving the anvil as is and working with it for a while before deciding on modifications. 

-Mark 

A bit of convex face makes straightening stock easier.  I wouldn't do anything to it except use it. Working hot steel will polish the face right up. You could use a wire cup to get rid of the rust on the sides but it looks good to me in the last photo.   Use it in good health and remember to have fun at the anvil after all that is the reason you're doing it , yes?

Pnut