I Forge Iron

Locking out equiptment - safety

Glenn

What precautions do you take to lock out or disable equipment that is broken, dangerous, or being repaired.

For instance the welder that you drained the oil but got called away before you could replace the oil drain plug, the filter, or the oil. Yes, turn the key and fry the engine.

I stick a small padlock through a hole in one prong of any electrical item that's locked out. Bigger stuff gets what ever works to prevent my doing something stupid. When I start working on anything with a battery( Mobile welder etc) The battery is disconnected.
Finr

I don't have to worry at home in my shop since I am the only one who works in there and the only one with a key, but at work we have lock out tag out kits that come with a selection of lock out devices that can be used on just about anything, breakers, valves, doors and cabinets, ignitions, battery cables, etc. and also comes with tags to hang on things, if you do much service and maintinence then it is well worth the investment and they are not that expensive either and comes in a plastic case to keep it all iin and comes with pad locks.

welder19

I was working as a millwright in a lightbulb factory. I was buiding a new hopper for a drum grinder at the end of a reject conveyor. I had snapped a padlock on what I was told was the correct lockout. While I was standing on the drum, in the grinder welding, a computer engineer decided to start testing programs. I got out of the grinder, just as it came on. Uninjured but shaken, I didn't even bother to pick up my tools, headed for the door, and never returned.

• 1 month later...

You can't make things idiot proof but you have to try. If you lock out something, make sure you are the only one that has a key to the lock. Then make sure that a sign is posted in a prominent place warning everybody that the item is out of service, who placed it out of service and the date and time it was placed out of service. If there is a way to put two locks in place do it.

I know most of you work in small shops or have a one man operation, but occasionally you have visitors and once in a while one of them will be the guy who wonders what will happen if he or she fllips the switch. Remember all the rules in the OSHA Regulations were not written because they thought someone might have a problem. The were written because someone already did have a problem.

NEVER trust someone else ;always verify things yourself; and that includes trying to turn on a "locked out" system before starting work on it!

Since my shop is currently non-electric I don't lock out stuff; But I will put a block in the screw press so it can't come down when I'm working under it.

Lockout is a very important thing that should have more attention paid to it!! A safety orientation should be given to new employees, contractors, service workers etc., and should be done upon entry to the site, not after. This is(or used to be)standard procedure when I was active in industry. If you were not told where or how to lockout, I would take the time to look very well at your job and try to think of eliminating any potential problems that could affect you. Look for the electrical supply and dont just throw a breaker, Take out the fuses and if the box will lock, do it! Also rotating equipment should be jammed in a manner that will not allow it to move even under power(remove a belt,weld a brace etc.). If a system contains fluids, the supply valve should be closed, then blanked and then locked . Like other posts state, Never,ever assume you are safe until youve checked exhaustively and ensured nothing can happen......imho.....Kerry