I Forge Iron

What project are you working on????

Alan B im working on a blue print for the roses, i started it a while back when i started these gifts but ran out of time, i hope to finish is here soon
Don A i cut out my rose petals from copper sheet 20ga with snips or 16ga sheet metal with a plasma cutter, making them smaller as i go (ill post a pic of the petals) i make my stems from round stock 3/8" diameter making the end i put the petals on about 3/16" them peen it over to hold them on, hope that helps, i hope i can get the BP finished soon, im still waiting on a phone call for a pancreas transplant, (going on 11 months now) so i may not get it finished soon enough,
heres the pic
rose002.jpg

have Happy New year everyone

Ron Smith

Oh... that does make a difference. I have been struggling with the "Russian Rose" (the kind you hammer out and roll up). Your method looks to be much cleaner and controlable. Again, they are very nice.

And more important, I pray that all will go well with your transplant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My daughters birthday is today, We went out for supper and I suprised her with this candle holder.

RoseCandleholder.jpg

RoseCandleholder1.jpg

She really liked it :)
I think my father in law was even impressed :P

JWB

Even if he wasn't, I am. :D Nice piece of work!

This is a tough crowd to associate with. There is so much good work happenin that the social/technical archeologists of the next several generations will be overworked. :D:D:D :D

Shop scrap, I beleive it is 18 gauge. Scribed a circle around a new 4" sidearm grinding disc, cut it out. I have a hardie that is a piece of 2 " angle V up with a taper(JR did a BP one 3 weeks ago). I divided the circle in to 8 sections and then layed the edge 1 inch up on the taper and used the hammer pien to set it down with on each mark. Flipped it over set it on a piece of 2" pipe in the hardie and flattened the bottom back out. Mig'd it to the stem.(cheating I guess)
:lol:

JWB

• 4 weeks later...

Chain is one of the easiest things to make. Especially good for learning forgewelding.
Depending on size of link cut off a section (ROund or square) Bend to a U and slightly bend the open ends in as if you wer going to have them touch but not quite that far. place a scarf on one end flip over and scarf the other end ( ends need to be scarfed opposite sides so they will overlap) finish bending scarfed ends so they overlap. After a few of these you should be able to do the cut bend and scarf in one heat, as well as have enough ( red) heat left to brush and flux. Back in fire bring to weld temp and join the ends. Brush reflux and back to weld temp to finish the weld and dress it up.
The hardest part of chain making is dealing with the mass of chain as it gets longer.

Ralph

Hillbilly,
The chain is made from1/4" rod wrapped around a piece of 3/4" sch 40 black pipe as many times as you need links then cutting length wise down the wrap. Pull the "links" off the pipe then thread them together and weld. I mig'D these and left the weld but If you dress the weld you get a solid ring with no joint.

I'm glad you liked it.

JWB

Karl,
Got to the 'edit post' option or 'Reply to Thread' option and scroll down the page. Just under the window you type in is another box with 'Additional Options'. There's a button labeled 'Manage Attachments', click on that and you'll open up a new window. From there you can either upload a file directly from your computer or put in a URL from a photo hosting site like Yahoo Photo's or Coppermine etc etc.
If you download from your computer then make sure it will fit by resizing it (maximum for most file types is 39.1KB)

A link will then appear in your post. Clicking on that will open the picture for everyone to see. If you use a Photo hosting website and a URL then someone else will have to give you a step by step because I've never done it that way!
:)