I Forge Iron

I am trying to do some lost wax casting and am very cheap. I have the wax. I have the metal. But to make the molds I need clay. Does any one know any ideas about where i can get clay for free or very cheap. i have heard you can use cat litter. tried it but the mold just broke apart. If any one can help thank you.

thanks for posting this! I was just getting to do the same. I know there is a lot of info about this subject but thought it would be good start some new ideas and tricks to casting. I have a project getting ready to start for a brass casting. Any tips would be great!

What metal are you casting? It makes all the difference for what you use for investment.

Low temp stuff like aluminum, pewter, etc. works just fine in plaster. Even bronze can be cast in plaster but it takes some additives and special prep.

Ceramic investment is common and last weekend I watched iron being cast in ceramic investment.

Frosty

I am trying to do some lost wax casting and am very cheap. I have the wax. I have the metal. But to make the molds I need clay. Does any one know any ideas about where i can get clay for free or very cheap. i have heard you can use cat litter. tried it but the mold just broke apart. If any one can help thank you.

hmmmmmm, why don't you just buy plaster and mix it with some "brick sand" to "invest" your waxes? In a 50/50 mix. That's about as cheap as it gets. Do you plan on using a "metal flask"? What do you plan to use to "burn out" the flask......and melt the metal? What metal will you be melting?
Frosty's right.......if you'd post some pix of your waxes.....we might be able to be more helpful.

If your going to use cat litter (which is bentonite) you have to use the plainest cheapest stuff you can find with no additives for scent or any thing and then you have to grind it up real fine, preferably in a ball mill, but I would recomend using plaster over cat litter.
Find a ceramics/pottery supply and go there, most clays are pretty cheap.
It's best not to be cheap when trying to do something, you will normally end up spending more $$ on mistakes and failed expirements then if you just did it the right way the first time, unless your not cheap but just don't have the money, then thats different, and is also something I know all about.

welder19