I Forge Iron

Lubricating a chuck

Pr3ssure

Exactly what do you mean by chuck? I'm asking because it isn't possible to "fill" a lathe chuck with oil.

How about posting a pic of what you're asking about, I don't want to give you bad or possibly damaging advise.

Frosty The Lucky.

A self centering 3 jaw chuck is a nice thing. Just a FEW DROPS of oil! No grease, ever. Not only will it catch: dust, dirt, grit, shavings, etc. but it will sling out when you turn the revs up. Say you want to put a polish on a shaft and put it in high gear. It's like standing behind a dirt bike doing a burn out in a cow pie. :wacko:

3 in 1 works a treat. A little is GOOD, a lot is B A D.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good catch Jim, I forgot about jaw order! :o

Man it's been a lonnnnng time since I looked inside a 3 jaw self centering chuck. 

Brings back memories of the first time I had a panic attack after taking one of Dad's apart and couldn't get anything to work when I put it back together. Dad wasn't pleased but just sat there and made me figure out how to do it right. Was I embarrassed when I FINALLY noticed they were numbered. Easy as 1, 2, 3. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I didn't think about that the first time I took them out. I got them all the way in and they looked a little wonky. I felt stupid to think they didn't have a specific order. How so you like my home made chuck key? Used a bolt and some rebar. 

image.jpg

18 hours ago, Pr3ssure said:

I felt stupid

HEY! How do you think that makes ME feel? My Father just sat there rolling his eyes while I fumbled with his 3 jaw chuck I took apart. The really embarrassing part is how long it took to learn NOT to take things of his apart, it's not like I could ACTUALLY fix anything. Well, not really once I got something . . . apart it was invariably FIXED for good.

So, you got it off, apart, cleaned lubed and back together. Good job.:)

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Pr3ssure said:

I've always had a fascination with taking things apart and putting them back together. I'm not sure why. 

Back when Boeing Surplus was alive, you could buy those giant old 50 lb mechanical adding machines for $ 1 each.  I'd pick up a couple at each visit as a kid and spend hours (days) disassembling them to see what the story was. Thousand piece 3-D reverse puzzles. Never re-assembled as I was more interested in small parts for other things but I do really miss those bygone days.  I guess I need to make more room in my life for stuff like that which doesn't require "results"....just fiddling for fiddling sake.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:53 AM, Pr3ssure said:

I've always had a fascination with taking things apart and putting them back together. I'm not sure why. 

You're a boy. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:37 AM, Kozzy said:

Back when Boeing Surplus was alive, you

Oh MAN I miss Boeing Surplus and I only got to wander the wonders a couple times. Just the scrap metal was a dream, Boeing uses a lot of exotics CP titanium to jet engine Ti. and others. I really wanted to pick up some jet engine SS tubing for a propane burner but it was closed to the public by then. <sigh>