I Forge Iron

Evenheat Kiln

So I'm new to blacksmithing/blade smithing and had a question. What do people use a kiln for. I understand quenching a knife and such but i'm unsure what to do with a kiln. I found a Evenheat kiln at a very low discount and wanted to know if I need it and what to use it for, how to use it. 

Please don't take this wrong but you don't know enough about knife making to start buying equipment. If you want to forge blades learn basic blacksmithing to proficient levels. In the mean time buy blanks and make stock removal blades. You can learn both skills without them interfering with each other in the process. Send them out for heat treatment and finish them for sale.

Buying equipment you don't even know if you need let alone know how to use is at this point a waste of money. Money better spent taking knife classes.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I love looking at pics of the eye candy blades guys post here frequently. I'd love looking at yours too but I'd rather not hear you've given up in frustration instead. Honest, we want you to be a success but we'd like you to have a good chance.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, 

I dont get offended easy...lol. it was offered to me by the guy i bought my grinder from for $300 and i know they sell for around $2k so i thought man even if i dont need it i could probably resell it. I agree with you though i am not at the level to be buying large equipment like this yet. Infact i just forged my first knife on Monday, it was pretty rough but thats not gonna slow me down i know its a learning process. The nearest place to take classes is about 5 hours away from where i live but i met a couple of bladesmiths that are giving me some pointers in the mean time. I am always open to criticism, how else can i grow and learn. Thanks 

received_190934501805583.jpeg

Adult skin thickness?! :o I've gotten some pretty . . . uh, nevermind reactions talking plain so I try and be careful.

Sounds like you have a good attitude where the equipment is concerned. Too many folks, myself included paint ourselves into a corner by getting a bargain then trying to figure out what to do with the thing. If nothing else it's probably good trade goods, why not?

Frosty The Lucky.

If it's functional and in good shape, a bargain price, and you have the spare cash it would not be a horrible idea to pick it up.   It looks like a 110v unit that can probably handle blades up to about 12 inches.

Yeah, you need to learn and practice the basics, and right now being able to accurately dial in a specific temperature is probably of limited value to you.  However, if you continue down the path of the dark side you may want to try some of the more complex alloys that require specific temperatures and soak times to get the most out of the steel.  That's where a heat treat oven is about the only way to do it yourself.