I Forge Iron

Blank slate for new shed!

So, I have a space that is approx 3.25x4 M in length....  this is the space pccupied by a knackered old shed that if I push hard will fall down.  SO, its got to be replaced.

So I have been given permission by She Who Must Be Obeyed that I can build what I want and turn it into a little blacksmiths workshop.

The question is, what do I build?  I have a bit of cash, so could go for something like this:

image.png

Im planning on using my gas forge, so the overhang  would be good for putting the forge on so I dont kill myself..

I would be having a concrete floor.

Obviously,  the cabin is wood.  This does worry me somewhat as obviously Id be bashing hot pieces of metal... I could use some cement board or good old plasterboard (sheetrock) to line the walls...

The alternative is to build a metal shed, which would come in at about half the price, but would be very short, and I would have to faff around making them a bit taller in some way...

What is the consensus on the above sort of building for a small forge workshop?...

I forged for 15 years in a detached decrepit 1920's small garage, all wood and with old leaves in the corners.  It did burn down; but only 3 months after I sold the house and moved ---the new owner wanted a modern large garage and was having difficulties getting planning permission I heard.

With reasonable care wood is not a problem.  You could treat it with a fireproofing solution if you were worried.

• 3 weeks later...

I've worked in much smaller spaces. Are there framed lumber kits, that type construction is solid but expensive here. Using lumber frame walls the same lumber will build more sq/ft how you clad the outside and sheet the inside effects costs but it should still be a better deal. I don't know what construction is allowed in the UK so . . .

You can mix a saturated solution of borax and water to spray interior walls as a fire retardant. Nothing is actually fire PROOF of course but making it hard to catch is good, we can smell smolders.

A tin shop is okay but not my choice. However if you can realize enough additional square footage it's attractiveness improves.

I still like lumber frame for the apparent size you're thinking of.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've always had an itch to do an old-school railway maintenance shed.  Some of those can look really nice with all the gingerbread.   Here's one from the 1915 book "Maintenance of Ways and Structures" A book for training railway maintenance managers,  but you can find many even better designs with more frosting and more railway vibe.  Double Doors so they could get the scooter cart in and out.

29mxf0g.jpg

Whilst eminently practical, Im not sure the Mrs would approve of the breezeblock aesthetic :-)

Sh would quite happily put up with a wooden construction.. although Ill probably have to submit to her choice of colour to stain/paint it!

I had to look up "breeze block" it's just a different term than I'm used to. Cool enlarged the old vocabulary.:)

The RR line shed, shack Kozzy posted is the type construction I was referring to, it's the most sq footage for the money I know of for good quality. 

A basic lumber frame building can be clad how the Mrs. likes without effecting the working space. You might have to point out some colors are extremely flammable and not suitable for a blacksmith shop. ;);)

Frosty The Lucky.