I Forge Iron

Welding with Propane

It depends more on your technique and flux than temp. Most commercial forges will hit high enough temps to weld.

I watched a couple guys forge welding at low orange a few years ago using EZ Weld and Swan fluxes.

Frosty

When welding with a coal forge, you are watching for the color of the flame to change as well as the metal color equallying the surounding fire and slight sparking. With a gas forge, you are wanting to look more for the movement of the flux. The metal doesn't need to be a high yellow to white, but when you see the flux seem to have fluid motion you will be able to weld.

You might want to check out Gas forges - Blacksmith forges and knifemaker forges guaranteed to forge weld - Chileforge.com
He is out of Wimberly, Texas. He was at the Balcones Forge meeting last Saturday and had his single burner forge. He also sells a couple of different two burner forges, all of which can be found on his website. He said that they will reach welding temps without a problem. I personally have zero experience with propane.
Hope this helps,
Jerry

I can tell you from personal experience that Chile forge burners are outstanding. I have constructed several forges using Chile forge and Zoeller forge burners and have found both to be excellent, and more than capable of reaching welding temp. The forge that I use the most for propane forge welding is my Cliff Carroll Pro forge. They are not necessarily common, but I produce a ton of Damascus out of my pro forge and have never had any difficulty at all producing high quality welds with this forge, not to mention that it has also proven to be very fuel efficient.