I Forge Iron

Latest Knife and Sheath

Donnie

The blade was forged from 01 round.
4" cutting edge
7 1/2" overall Length
Handle is a whitetail antler
Sheath is veg-tan leather, sealed using a wax mixture for water resistance and hardness (Sheath was made by my wife). This is actually the 1st sheath she has ever made. ;)

Critique as you wish.....suggestions and comments welcome.

6991.attach

Very nice work, Donnie. It has an authenitic "Old World" look to it. I make a few of these and discovered something called "Old Bones" at the Dixie Gun Works. A few ounces in a quart of water will turn the pale antlers to a rich brown that just reeks of age. This stuff is just potassium permanganate and you might be able to buy it in a drug store, too.

Thanks for the advice....you know what is funny my wife just asked me this afternoon what it was that folks put on their bone/antlers to turn them a aged brown. I had no idea of coarse.....and thanks to you sharing that info. I can now get that look......thanks a bunch.
Will see if I can find this tomorrow and give it a try.

• 1 month later...
Potassium Permanganate is toxic stuff, I dont think your even supposed to touch it barehanded.

It is only toxic in California. :D (just kidding char)

Jerry, I have used it too for curly maple stocks. When I used it, I first used a dilute nitric acid solution and then after the stock was heated slightly with a torch and dried, followed with the potassium permanganate. I have since gone to an commercial stock stain that is applied in one coat and gives much the same effect.

I remember having to step into a shallow pan of Potassium Permanganate in water as we entered the showers in Junior High Gym Class. Supposed to prevent spreading various foot fungi. I never suffered any harm from it. Other than my feet are now brown and old looking. BOG