I Forge Iron

My portable set up

Getting there. Keep your eyes open for an old BBQ, it'll make a much better forge and stand than the cinder blocks. On end like that is unstable. I'd hate to read the story about how once your foot stopped hurting enough, from one falling on it,  to notice anything else you discovered your other pants leg was on fire.  :o

You can find old charcoal BBQs on trash days or just dumped on side roads, alleys, etc. Spring is coming folks will be buying new ones and all you need is the legs and pan to make a fine forge. Hmmm? 

Glenn's 55 forge is an excellent forge and easily adapted to a side blast to make burning charcoal more economical and effective.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're not laying a fire place you're making a solid fuel forge, clayey soil with just enough moisture you can ram it hard with a mallet is perfect. Refractory cement is for sticking bricks together ad has no place in a solid fuel forge. Well, if you're laying a masonry forge like in the old blacksmith shops . . . sure but wait till you've been doing this a few years first. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.