I Forge Iron

Wierd Little Anvil- Look- what do you think?

Check out completed sale #330247394696 ebay. Sure I probably paid too much- I have bought some nifty things from this seller- always a real pleasure and totally reliable. He knows some about smithing as well. What do you guys(generic- I attended a sensitivity session yesterday,believe it or not the presenter, an Afro-American in her 30's did a great job, made it a fun session- got everyone thinking and there were lots of laughs- I only say'believe it or not," because these classes have merit but are rarely enjyoyable- I recommended her to our Chief Judge in our District) so anyways( she's a Chicago gal too, so we had lots to talk about over a couple of Diet Pepsi's- she got me talkin' dissin and dattin and youse guys again). Anyway, I think this anvil is a little gem- marked semi-steel should be like ductile iron. Oh, and picked a very crisp Vulcan 100 pounder and a good price- good edges, no cracks, face firm and acts as "one" with the body- well shaped 3/4 hardy and 1/2 pritchel. Came from another seller I know.

Tomorrow I am firing up my bigger gasser(ITC'd) and will be cussin' a steel streak as I try to forge weld it into layers. By the way, the NC Baby arrived, and had been properly shipped. It got a dose of the miracle coating, ITC 100, and I will fire-cure it tomorrow.I think I need to negotiate a woodburner and forging approval for the garage- landlady is really nice- They will carry me out of here feet first- it is that nice a little bungalow. Regards, mike

Tomorrow I am firing up my bigger gasser(ITC'd) and will be cussin' a steel streak as I try to forge weld it into layers.

mike

First the anvil is chilled cast iron and somewhat harder than ductile. Cool swages on the underside. Just don't expect it to take a beating like a hardened steel anvil.

I do have one question though. WHY in the world are you going to forge weld your big gasser into layers? Has it displeased you so? :P

Frosty

Frosty- Nobody expects the Grammar-Syntax Police.!!-- It has been 38 years since I forged the muzzleloader furniture- so this will be a great reunion. I will also just be attempting to shape bevel edge chisel blades- good thing I have a decent belt steel grinder- there will likely be lots of cheating going on.

Everybody here does a good job of pushing "Fire it up, heat it up, beat it up and practice until your arm falls off"- so, here goes. "Caution, Pilgrim at the anvil!" mike