I Forge Iron

New grinder

scored me a new surface grinder using the Thomas Powers applied anvil acquisition technique, but for a surface grinder. Because I'll I'm tired of fighting the one I've got. Never have gotten it to work right. 

Anywho. This is a Thompson model B with a 6"x18" mag chuck. The wheel that's on it is new & has some extras. 220v 3ph 3hp motor, so all I'll need for this one is a phase converter or a VFD. It's a lot cleaner in person than the photo. Has some other assorted goodies to round it out. I also got the big drill press in the photo to go with it. Didn't really need it. But who am I to say no. 

All for the princely sum of $300 usd & I owe him a pocket knife. Small machine shop who's out grown their available space. So the old machines which ain't seeing use needed to go. 

20190402_104045.jpg

20190404_155538.jpg

Looks on first sight to be a geared head drill press. Those are far and above most belt driven presses, especially if you are one to actually use the right speed for the right drill bit.  In any case, around here you could flip that for not only what you paid for both pieces of equipment but probably the cost of moving them to your shop also.  Might be a more common thing in your area but not so common around here.

Old equipment isn't so common around here either. Not since the great scrapping about 10 years back. I saw many a good machine head across the scales back then. Scrap prices were just so high. Everything that's turning now are the survivors. These two are maybe 20 miles from the house, so I'm borrowing a smaller truck from work to haul them home. My truck sits a bit high. 

I must admit that I've a fondness for old Japanese made machine tools. I've always found them to be well designed, well built, & made to last. So I'm very happy  to have acquired this one. 

20190404_224247.jpg

20190403_125811.jpg