I Forge Iron

Nesting fire pots

51 Papy

Entering at my own risk.   

Has anyone built fire pots that nest together?  I am currently running a break drum forge.  I have formed a pot with both firebrick and clay. The problem is clinker kills both of these materials quickly.  Mainly I do small work but have also done hammers and starting to make axes.  This is a hobbie and for relaxation.  

So,  I know I need two sizes of fire pots.  I have made cardboard templates.  One "nests" very well in the other.  Space will not allow two forges and I'm lazy and cheap.  I would like to remain as compact and efficient as possible.  In looking for answers it looks like 3/8" to 1/2" metal is used.  The size of pots are sizes I have found I like through experiments (clay needs repair often) and looking at std sizes.  Two complete fire pots & plumbing is the conventional answer and doable but a pain to change and store.

Am I headed down the wrong path?  All oppinions would be appreciated.  

Papy

Ok here is pict's of the mock up. Things fit a lot better before I forced the card board over the 2" pipe.  I like the screen on the tuyere to be up off the floor of the pot.  This seems to help with the clinker produced with the Tractor Supply anthracite.  I was planning on running 1/4 x 2 or 3 as a lip around each pot.  Pipe would be welded to the large pot and the small pot would slide over.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A fellow who posts on the "Sandbox" email list name of Bruce Freeman designed and I believe had built, nesting forges but not for the same purpose. He wanted to be able to carry a number of forges in his trunk at once. 

Rather than nesting fire pots how about making the two sizes fit the same hole in the forge table so you can change them out easily. With a LITTLE care the tuyere should drop into the air supply for no changes besides the pots.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the thoughts

Frosty I thought about two pots and I agree a rubber Fernco connector would be easy enough.  Just trying to condense everything.  Not sure which way I'm going but it's time to upgrade!

Actually, what you are attempting is redundant and not necessary.

All that you are attempting can be done in one forge with proper fire control. 

Using water to control the spread of the fire, you can pull your green coal in to make your fire as narrow as you need, and move it out to make it as wide as your firepot will allow. 

Learning Fire control is the first step and the key to your problem.

Hope this helps