I Forge Iron

Double burner issue

Matt94

Hi everyone. New to the forum here.

I’ve just completed my first propane tank forge, and while the burners are intense, they aren’t right. For one thing, one burns much better than the other. Overall though, I don’t think they are burning right when I compare them to other people’s burners online. The mig tip is 0.035 and I have an adjustable high pressure regulator that goes up to 40 psi.  The flame seems to sputter, and when I really rip it there is sometimes are high pitched whine sound. I read some of the other similar discussions but none of the troubleshooting helped. After adjusting my oxygen intake, this is as good as I get.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Matty

Mikey is the flame king, he'll have the best take.  What pressure are you at in the video?  I can say two things for sure; 1) they will act completely different inside the forge, do you have a video of them inside the forge? 2) The reducers you are using for the nozzles are not ideal. Those are Reil burners with the mig tip mod.  As I recall, when you use mig tips he specifies a larger reducing coupling to allow for more air.  I tried a few like that and never found them as good as the original Reil burner with the Bordeaux mod.  I've used those for years.   

I can hear them huffing when you give them more oxygen in the end of the video.  I think the flame is starting to backfire a bit.  The nozzles might be the problem.  You can get a piece of stainless tube from speedy metals dot com.  1" OD x .120 wall thickness.  Sometimes takes a little filing to make it fit on 3/4 pipe.  12" of tube is only $12 plus shipping.

In regards to the burners burning different, try cleaning the tip on the one not doing as well, make sure there is no obstruction (like a bit of teflon tape) in the orifice.  It should behave the same if it's built the same.

But I defer to Mikey in all of this.

Jusy my 2 cents here, and rot is correct on the air intake...but just from what i see, you have 2 different reducers out of the exhaust or burner side,  also you can tell that they are set at different heights, count your threads, also, bures and any obstructions will create a different flame, be sure to check that when fitting identical burners, make sure both are made from simular materials, also your nipple is screwed in further to your one side of your mixing chamber or reducer which ever your preference,  you are creating less room for your venturi affect to take affect on 1 side then the other,  those are just your starting points, other things to look at , with your set up is split setup, you have both burners running off of the same valve, what you need to look for is a difference between the 2, just like before check centers,  and check threads,  if your off even a 1/8 inch center,  it will want to flow heavy to the shortest route, your best bet, run a single line to a duel setup, with 2 needle valves, this way you can control each burner, ill post a pic of my double burner setup for your reference,  always look for obstructions,  debure EVERYTHING,  and always always double check measurements, your setup makes for alot of fun trying to get them to match perfect. 

This is most ideal for double or triple burner set up

Screenshot_20190317-233937.png

It The photo simply shows two good flames on two different burners.thte difference is simply that one has a larger flame retention nozzle than the other burner, and so it is putting out a wider flame.. Unless the video I can't get to play shows something unusual, I'd say that the answer to your problem is that you don't seem to have one :)