I Forge Iron

What size to build coal forge

umtnman

Hello,  Im getting ready to build myself a dedicated forge for general blacksmith work.  Some small stuff some larger things also.  My question is what size to make it.  Im building a super sucker hood which will be on the rear of the forge table.  Also  what size of fire pot would you put in it?  Thanks

General blacksmithing like gates or general blacksmithing like thumb latches? General blacksmithing like toolmaking or general blacksmithing like architectural stuff?  

Blacksmithing is so varied that "General" doesn't really describe it much----What size stock will you most likely be using the most and how long a heat?

A 30” x 60” table works well as a hearth size, as for a fire pot or tuyere that depends. Fire pots are kinda one size fits all, wile a side blast tuyere is work size spasific. A 1” id tuyere works effecently to 1”. Side blast is easier to build, easer to clean and more easily adapted to difrent sercumstanses but generaly not as easy to move. For me a 30x30 box 8” dear with a 1” tuyere about 1” below the hearth with a 30” table beside it would cover 90% of what I do, and could be coheres innto covering the 9%. The last 1% a shovel and a weed blower will cover ;-). Steve has a 30”x60” diamond plate hearth with a bottom blast fire pot and an adapter to allow him to convert it to a 48” trench for heat treating swords....

Fence and gate work: 4" square stock or 1/2" square stock?  I've seen gates made with each of those.  Shoot I have a friend that works at a forge with 1' yes foot stock is considered the "small stuff" and their tongs have 4 wheel drive and a steering wheel.

Anyway for good sized gate work you probably want a proper cast iron forgepot and  couple of feet of table all around it.

Note you can build your forge so that you can move the firepot into a larger or smaller table as is convenient.