I Forge Iron

55 side blast/jabod forge I just built

A leaf blower is WAY too much air blast even for anthracite. 

Light the small wood fire, start the blower with almost ALL the blow diverted elsewhere then pile the coal. Don't make a tiny fire, double fisted is a good size. Anthracite doesn't like bashful people.

You don't need nearly so large a fire as in the pics but that's a function of too much air. 

Looking good, keep at it.

Frosty The Lucky.

A gentle or soft air is what your looking for.   Separate the blower from the air pipe. For more air, aim the blower more toward the air pipe, for less air, then aim not so directly and spill the air that is not needed.

Grab a bag of real lump charcoal and use that to start your fire instead of wood.  It is much easier than wood which burns out too fast (and not hot enough) so the anthracite won’t burn.  Anthracite is hard to light...it is classified as a metamorphic rock.  You are lighting rocks on fire!   Start with a small pile of charcoal, hit it with a torch, turn on the air low as the other said and then pile on the coal right away.  In two or three minutes you can add more air.  In two or three more you will have a small fire ready to use.  

If you look for a small blower for yard inflatables ( 1/6 horsepower is good enough) and get an aluminum gate ($7 on Amazon) you will have enough air for anthracite and loads of control over the fire.  I used a cut off piece of leg from a pair of jeans to connect the blower to the pipe with the gate on it because I needed flexibility in that junction.  I bet a thick sock would work.  The BEST part is that it will be a few orders of magnitude quieter than your leaf blower.  Mine is about as loud as a normal conversation..

Lou