I Forge Iron

help Identifying an old forge

Deryl Hess

Hi All, I was given a forge, the blower fans are actuated by a belt , the flywheel is geared and a 1/4 shaped gear with counter weight actuates the fly wheel that gear is operated by a wooden handle from the top of the forge. there seems to be something missing from the center of the flywheel. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? If so Please help I will attempt pics later 

Welcome aboard Deryl glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Not much we can do without pictures. Without knowing even the name of parts your descriptions don't tell us anything of value. 

Seriously, we'd like to help but . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.

OK it's *probably* one of the many many "rivet forges" made by hundreds of different companies back in the day.  The quarter circle geared wheel was worked with a wooden lever to "pump" it with a ratchet connection so it only spins one way.  Supposed to assuage the old smiths who grew up with bellows blown forges and were used to pumping them rather than cranking them.  Usually for small work.  Hard to find parts for.

Google:   rivet forge images   and see if you find one similar