I Forge Iron

Hello from Alberta

Hey my name's Derek. I'm an aircraft mechanic from Cold Lake, Alberta. I've never really blacksmithed before, just the most basic heating things with torches and bending or shaping them a little bit. I grew up surrounded by a family of welders and have been welding off and on for years whenever I had a place to do it, as well as some occasional machining when I was lucky enough to have a lathe and mill at work. I would love to learn some valuable new metalworking skills and I think this will really open up some fun project opportunities. I plan on building a modest forge and testing the waters this summer when the snow melts. For now I'm here to lurk, read, and soak up as much wisdom as I can first to avoid making silly mistakes, getting hurt, or wasting time and money.

How's it going,

If you don't want to spend a lot of money to find out if blacksmithing is for you check out the just a box of dirt (jabod) and 55 side blast forge threads. I don't think you can find a lower cost design. Or easier to build.

Welcome aboard and update us on your progress

Pnut (Mike)

Welcome aboard Derek, glad to have you. What kind of forge are you planning? Iforge is organized by categories and there are proven designs for forges of whatever type you choose. 

Feel free to ask questions even if you're mostly lurking, especially if you like puns. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I think my first forge will end up being in my old charcoal grill or just a box of dirt lol. Until then I'll read and try to source some good materials for forge and anvil.

And sorry to disappoint Irondragon, its just a nickname.