I Forge Iron

First Project: Tongs

Aubrey

Okay ... after about four tries, I managed to make something that ALMOST resembles a pair of tongs.  They are ugly, and yeah I used the belt grinder on them to smooth up the reins a little.  I had hoped to fit these things for 5/8 or maybe even 3/4 inch stock.  But I'm starting to think with a boss that's only an inch or so that won't be possible.  Could I get some suggestions on where to go from here please? (I hope the pics don't cause a pickle)

20190301_195037.thumb.jpg.86678142fac7fa0c551d4b4f96836f48.jpg20190301_195015.thumb.jpg.89222badda67bd39e646e6beb1bc221f.jpg20190301_194907.thumb.jpg.6c6765322c6aaaaec475756fb526cbd8.jpg20190301_192317.thumb.jpg.ec9cf2e53a3908426366a2b1755652a8.jpg

I forged these from 5/8 round.  I was pretty clueless about riveting.  A little less clueless now.  Would like to fashion one of Alec Steele's "monkey tools" to make some rivets.  I had to forge a punch to punch the hole, then rough out a quick drift to make the rivet fit.  I am happy enough to admit that I'm stumbling blind in the dark here.  The only learning source I have is pretty much right here.  Information and trying.  Watching and Trying.  

Okay my rant is over.  

So if I wanted to utilize these, how big a stock could I adjust them to without completely destroying what little progress I've actually made?

So is there a rule of thumb I can know about?  Like what size to start with to forge a bit to fit the size stock I want to work?  

Oh, the chart just now showed up.  I looked through that, even downloaded it to my phone.  I'll do some more studying on that. Maybe I can make some sense of it.

Thanks!  I am definitely going to make another pair!  I get kind of OCD on things.  I fixate, and do it over and over again until I like the result.  Can't tell you how many tong "blanks" I made trying to get rolling.  But I am in a position to where I can't do anything else with them until I have a pair to hold them with.  haha!

Perhaps, but only if you expect a different result from an identical action. If you are deliberately, consciously, and continually trying to do better each time, that’s a different matter. 

Either way, whatever we repeat becomes habit: “practice makes permanent.”

Hey I really appreciate the comments.  I was able to adjust them (sort of) to fit some 1/4" flat.  

Next pair will be much better.  Been working on a pair I watched a guy make from some 1/4" x 1" flat bar but my results after drawing out 4" of material just didn't quite reach a length equal to the 12 or so inches he managed.  I'm using a propane forge and my now hairless hands are telling me I need longer reins.  Haha