I Forge Iron

I recommend small mobile crane on wheels for workshop

angiolino

hello, for my small craft shop, I wanted to build a small crane on wheels, similar to those used by mechanics to extract the engines from vehicles, modest range say two tons, those with the arm, which are raised hydraulically with the piston, manual of course some economic and safe idea?

crane.jpg

Immagine.jpg

Floor Cranes.jpg

They work well here with some cautions,

1) the wheels must have room to go under things in order to get close. For instance under the frame of the car to be close enough to insert the engine into the engine compartment. You need a smooth floor (concrete) and the small wheels do not like to roll over things like cords or bolts. Larger wheels work better but sometimes do not go under the frame of the car.

2) The ones I have used like loads that are less than their rated load level. There are different designs to the wheels and hubs. Some are not able to handle the weight of the load.

3) ALWAYS move the weight at the lowest height possible, and keep your feet well clear of the weight should it drop.  I have seen a couple of these tip over sideways.due to the small wheels encountering a rock, nut, bolt, debris, etc. 

A useful tools for lifting. It likes flat smooth surfaces.

Angiolino: Good to see you posting again. Glenn's advice is good. Of the pictures you've posted the first one looks to be battery powered, while nice it's expensive and you have the battery and possible spills to consider. As Glenn says they CAN tip over if something goes wrong say the load swings. Hand pumped hydraulics work well, are simple and less expensive. Mine has a hand jack.

The last pic is NOT a design I like. It can tip if you attempt to lift too much weight or it stops suddenly while rolling. The load is entirely forward of the front wheels a counter weight is all that keeps it from tipping over forwards. It's also very narrow so any side to side swing in the load could tip it over. I don't like that one at all!

The first picture is mine from the front, one leg is folded up, both fold up to store and pin down for use. As you can see it has very small wheels and is hard to roll unless the floor is swept clean. It was made this way so it will fit under an automobile, some of ours are close to the ground. Every time I've rolled it in the shop I've considered buying larger rubber wheels for it.

888683694_enginehoist1.jpg.1a29946be1af80eb086e24c74c655404.jpg 

The second picture is my anvil rigged to lift into the back of my pickup truck with the engine hoist. I don't have a picture of the whole hoist from the side that I know of. I included this one to show where the load hangs from the boom when the boom is extended full length. The first picture shows the boom at it's shortest, in the short position it will safely lift 2 tons or 1,818 kg. Fully extended it will safely lift 500lbs. or 227 kg. The load is centered about half way down the legs with the boom in the short position.

1316679847_Anvilstand02s.thumb.JPG.d8e0ce80fb0871ffeb1353ada7d3c4f8.JPG

I bought this at a garage sale for about 1/4 the new price and it'd only been used once. One of my favorite garage sale purchases ever. If you get one you'll never know how you lived without it!

Frosty The Lucky.

thank you for your right suggestions, in my part this type of crane for workshop mechanic to extract engines from vehicles, they are commonly called: "goat or hydraulic capretta", do not ask why, but in Italian some cranes are called goats or bigo or crane in boating, thanks again for the right suggestions

That's what they were designed to do, we call them "Engine hoists" or less often, "Cherry pickers."  Don't worry I won't ask you why something is named what it is if it doesn't make sense to me. "Goat" makes as much sense as Cherry picker." Maybe the guy who designed it had his cherries eaten by a goat before he could pick them while living in Italy?

As always you're welcome it's my pleasure. I hope my suggestions turn out right now and then. 

Frosty The Lucky.