I Forge Iron

Tool hangers

jayco

My son has a lawncare service. Part of the work involves doing mowing/cleanup for several local cemeteries.

There are always old flower arrangements to be disposed of. The flowers themselves go to the landfill, but I can hardly bring myself to throw away the little wire frames. I always thought they should be useful for something.

Then it occurred to me.........they're tool hangers!

James

6852.attach

6853.attach

6854.attach

6855.attach

6856.attach

Jayco, have him check for the 3 legged easels that wreaths are displayed on. Here they are 3-4-5 feet tall with the biggest being made from 1/4" round. I get and use a bunch from the cemeteries for candle holders and such. Also used for bean stakes as they are.

Edited by JerryCarroll
forgot something

Thanks for the tip, Jerry!

I never thought of using 'em for bean stakes........clever idea!

My son has brought in some longer pieces of iron from his work, and yeah, it's quite usable 1/4 in. round stock.

I guess it might seem 'weird', using stuff scavenged from cemetaries, but all of it would wind up in the landfills...........I think of it as my contribution to 'recycling.

James Flannnery

Would that be similar to a ressurection? Or simply that just because its been in a cemetary, its life cycle is not yet over?

Plenty of metal gets ressurected from the scrap pile after it so called useful life, and goes on to be useful in other forms.

Just another wonder of a life cycle,

Don't scrap, recycle (sometimes its dang hard to pedal though)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i'm setting up my shop in an unused barn stall.
i'd prefer not to burn the barn down and am looking for ideas about what to line the stall wall with. i've looked at fireretardant drywall. should work but not particularly pleasing to the eye.
any other thoughts from all you hammer smashers?
lou

I guess it might seem 'weird', using stuff scavenged from cemetaries, but all of it would wind up in the landfills...........I think of it as my contribution to 'recycling

James,

I grew up next to a cemetery and that's where we got most of our yard plants and a bunch of other great stuff that the grounds crew gathered up off of the graves. (and no, I never gave flowers to a GF that were taken from a grave).

The best time to go is the week following Memorial Day - there will be mountains of stuff to go through (potted plants and potted flowers abound). The crews will often hang onto any well made stands or hangers for use later but you'd be amazed at what you do find. One grounds keeper picked up a great little CD player that someone left playing music at a grave site.

That being said - NEVER go and just start taking things. Always get permission as taking anything from a cemetery even if it's in a dumpster will be considered theft of private property and you'd probably end up on the evening news for being arrested for "stealing from the dead".

Chyancarrek, your advice to 'Never go and just start taking things' is excellent advice.

My son does contract work (mowing, maintanance)for these cemeteries.
Part of our work entails removing the older flower arrangements.
We have permission.

Sometimes these 'recycling' situations can get 'sticky'.......
I once spotted a nearly new 55 gal. barrel in an illegal dumpsite in my community....right beside the roadway!
I was out of the truck and halfway down the hill when I realized what it would look like if a law enforcement officer had happened along and seen me there.

It would have been mighty hard to explain that i was there to pick up stuff and not doing some illegal dumping of my own!

Oh, I held my nerve long enough to get the barrel.......but I don't do that kind of thing anymore:)

i'm setting up my shop in an unused barn stall.
i'd prefer not to burn the barn down and am looking for ideas about what to line the stall wall with. i've looked at fireretardant drywall. should work but not particularly pleasing to the eye.
any other thoughts from all you hammer smashers?
lou

I'd look at getting some of the welding blankets that they sell. They are made to keep things from lighting on fire. Also less permanent and easier to install then drywall...

Mach2lou,there's a spray-on fire retardant for wood structures.

I don't know the name or where to get it , unfortunately.

A few years ago, an old wooden 'covered' bridge was restored near here.
The restoration cost the historical society $750,000....a large project.
As I remember, there was some concern about vandalism.........that someone might attempt to burn it down.

The restorers sprayed an almost clear coating on the entire length of the 100+ ft. structure.
The coating is all but undetectable.
Unfortunately, that's all I know about it........