I Forge Iron

First propane forge

Dustin3176

Finished my first propane forge today. Followed Mr. Wayne Coe forge plans and supplies. Kao wool, Kast-O-lite 3000 and plistix. Also followed Frostys t-burner plans.  Two 3/4” T-burners. What do y’all think?  Please critique and tell if I am missing anything. A 1” piece of square stock got to a good working temp (glowing orange) in around 7 minutes. Propane regulator was set at 6 psi.  Will post pictures of the flame as soon as I can.

B8E4C7F0-DA22-4861-805B-F2F548A52042.jpeg

F074BBFF-D95E-4EEC-B2B9-623123B67539.jpeg

E3802722-DC1E-4A3E-9644-ECAB1A8F3CCC.jpeg

AE401D6A-D9E1-4518-A306-1F011E89D8BE.jpeg

Hi there Dustin,

I am impressed with your forge.  I am pretty new to the blacksmithing, and I finished mine a couple weeks ago.  The video was a very short test burn before I coated the wool.  I used a design I found called the Peot Blown Pipe forge, and I followed the directions as close to exactly as I could within my limited welding skillset.  Since then I have been practicing hammer control by making a royal mess of mild stock.  I not even at a good starting point to show off any work yet, but with each completion I'm finding more inspiration to continue.

20190117_180946.thumb.jpg.719e1a20f41d67c1e54bb15d0e96938b.jpg

They are both showing up just fine. I just didn't scroll down my screen far enough to see the action the first time. If you are wondering about the lack of replies, The equipment photos are too dark to see much detail, and the flame photo and video show really hot forges, so there isn't much for people to comment on, accept to congratulate you for a good job the with your first try :)

Aubry your forge looks good. My suggestion is to move it outside when running, especially if the garage is attached to the house. Propane forges emit CO which is odorless & tasteless and deadly. CO will infiltrate the house and CO poisoning is nothing to take a chance with. Make sure you have CO detectors working.

These further photos only confirm that there isn't anything with the flame, or insulation of the forge to be improved, However, you need to address the lack of a hard refractory or kiln shelf floor, or you're going to have damage pretty soon. At this jpoint, your best choice would be including a cast refractory floor of Kast-O-lite 30. You can buy a small bag for the purpose from Wayne, a member of this group. You should also get some Plistix from him at the same time, to protect the the rest of the insulation from impingement from forge atmosphere. 

2 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Make sure you have CO detectors working.

You need working CO detectors  If the forge is in an unattached garage. The cylinder belongs outside such a garage, and all other fire safety procedures should be follows as well.