I Forge Iron

Noob here —This is my forge

DaveI

Good afternoon lady’s and gentlemen, This is my first post figured I’d introduce myself, post some pics of my current forge and ask some questions about my next build.

1st, I posted my location since I’ve seen Frosty or someone else suggest it on every other new guy post.  Only been beat on steel for about 4 months now.  Hammered out a few barn hooks, a couple of leaf-ish chopsticks holders for the wife and mother-in-law, and a knife or 4.  None of the knives are finishe, so no pics, yet.

My forge setup

My burn chamber when hot  Notice the pit from the first and only time I tried to forge weld

Below is a 1/4” X 3/4” X 5” mild steel , took less than 2 minutes to get to this point. 

B2DFC05C-9D28-4274-94BF-E7A993D5D97F.thumb.jpeg.db8cd6fccb3c707c32e5da1197fc6769.jpeg

My first forged item

B1AE8511-2EEE-4860-AC99-511D363BC607.thumb.jpeg.0bfc3fe77b61172496c79d973ef5993c.jpeg

And finally the best of the 3 leaves i’ve Made so far, My wife’s chopstick holder.

CCD13599-2E9B-4B26-B73B-9D68BEE03F69.thumb.jpeg.5dfd4d7ae58cc50b641c1911e66e0f77.jpeg

No question at this time

I don’t have a edit option for the first post!!

I just realized my post title is really messed up!!  It’s supposed to be “Noob here—this is my forge”

[Mod note: fixed]

I apologize for the mistaken name calling.

Your doing fine, and so is your forge. You can still raise the temperature a lot by closing down the exhaust opening somewhat. I would suggest a short wall of firebrick in front of the forge. When your forge goes up to yellow heat, so will your work pieces; this will speed it up.

Thomas, I’m not sure, i’ve Never really measured it.  This is my second fill up, the first fill up lasted  6-10 hours a wee irregularly, for 4+ months. I didn’t use it every week.

I start it at 4psi, and back it down to around 2.5 psi for the best flame, once it starts to heat up.  The fan is at minimum, and the gate valve is about half closed.   I do all my flame tuning by sound. Steady rocket engine with no stuttering and No stovetop blue flames coming out the front.